Multiple saddle valves

Users who are viewing this thread

andrew_karre

Reaction score
Is there any reason why I shouldn't have two saddle-valve connected appliance s on a cold-water suplly line under a kitchen sink (an ice maker and a hot-water dispenser)?

Thanks much,
Andrew

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I personally don't like them and would rather put in real shutoff valves, but my guess from a DIY viewpoint is it's okay. The seal on those things is a little bit of rubber. It pierces the copper to let the water in. On most of them I've read the instructions for say not to use them as a volume control, but they do (usually) let you shut it off. If it gets knocked and you turn it off, it can make the hole larger when you screw it back in. Not usually a problem.

I've seen a 3-way shutoff valve in a catalog. Replace the existing valve with a 3-way, and no saddle valves needed.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Saddle valves

The general opinion from the plumbers on this board is that saddle valves are not too good. It is not a question of will they fail, but when will they fail. I got rid of the one that lead to my ice maker for that reason.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

One saddle valve is bad enough, why would you want to use two of them? If you insist on using one, just use one and tee the second device into the copper tube after the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks