Multiple cracks in newly installed shower stall

Users who are viewing this thread

Diyohmy

Reaction score
We are having an addition done, and one of the rooms is a master bathroom. We had a one piece Neo angle fiberglass shower stall installed. We noticed that there is a quarter sized spider web crack near the top of one wall, and several small line cracks at the very top of the tub where it curves towards the wall.

Our contractor considers this no big deal and said that it is a common problem during install and plans to have the manufacturer fix them. We Trust our contractor, he's been absolutely wonderful and did an incredible job with the addition. That said we are concerned about the damage, and what the potential patching might look like given we just paid a small fortune for a brand new addition. Given the cost of removing a shower stall and replacing it with something else since he could no longer get a one piece in there [we are at the finishing stage] he has an obvious motive for simply wanting to patch it.

We are admittedly ill-informed about situations like this and don't know whether he's giving us great honest advice, or if we should be insisting upon a new shower. We tend to believe him, but all of our friends are telling us to insist on replacement which is confusing to say the least. My wife and I are concerned both that the patches will be visible, or that the cracks will reappear in a year or two leaving us holding the bag.

I'd appreciate any insight on this from all of you. If it's a big nothing just let us know, we just want to make sure we are not getting railroaded into a bad decision. Honestly, we have no idea how to insist on a new shower to begin with, like we said we are absolutely ecstatic with the rest of this work and would feel bad making him shoulder the cost, just as we don't want to have to potentially do it in two years.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One-piece fiberglass stalls sometimes pick up chips and cracks during the process of bringing them inside, and installing them. It happens. A chip repair outfit will make it look like the brand new install that it is. That's one of the nice things about them. Some builders, that's all they install.

Diyohmy

Reaction score
One-piece fiberglass stalls sometimes pick up chips and cracks during the process of bringing them inside, and installing them. It happens. A chip repair outfit will make it look like the brand new install that it is. That's one of the nice things about them. Some builders, that's all they install.

Thank you so much for the reassurance. As the one spending the money, its hard to wrap my head around the damage, but knowing its both fixable and relatively normal, as opposed to a rarity that fundementally harms the lifespan of the shower, helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks