Multichoice R22000 shower valve depth

Users who are viewing this thread

BobMane

Reaction score
Once I add thinset and tile with this Multichoice valve be far enough out of the wall?

note: pics show location of the blocking with a tape measure on the face of Kerdi-board

20220625_194057.jpg
20220625_194122.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure about the depth but did you do a pressure leak test? Lots of threaded connections. When I re-did my master bath I failed to properly pressure test. It was years years later when I discovered a pin hole size leak on a sweat joint to the shower head. The wall was a garage wall and when I noticed mold behind the water heater is when I opened the wall. Fortunately no damage other than the garage drywall. I used DensShield backer board. Studs were OK and the sill plate was treated lumber.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will be close by it'll likely work. The mud ring should be flush with the finished wall, it looks like your a 1/4" or so from that. There is some variance allowed but you could do some modification if necessary.

Better to change it now if you can.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep the plate should flush with wall, I've found that some like the delta can be recessed quite a bit and sometimes is better if you don't like the handle sticking way out. If you have the trim try it out see how it looks

BobMane

Reaction score
It will be close by it'll likely work. The mud ring should be flush with the finished wall, it looks like your a 1/4" or so from that. There is some variance allowed but you could do some modification if necessary.

Better to change it now if you can.
By mud ring you mean the black plastic that is now sitting behind the face of the Kerdi? And that should be flush with front of tile?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bob mane correct the black plastic is mud ring flush means the front of tile AKA finish wall.
none of those measurements matter with tape measure The valve is set according to where finished wall is and that's it . there is some play but all of us that have installed hundreds have had close calls or ripped out walls to fix screw ups , whether they were our fault or others we are the ones that fix it. your the plumber so you'll be the one that deals with it , if in doubt get the trim out and check it.

BobMane

Reaction score
Since it looks like I am too far back and I will have to move it out I could also reduce tile thickness on that wall. I currently have 1/2". What is a min tile thickness to use on that wall? And what thickness thinset would it require?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since it looks like I am too far back and I will have to move it out I could also reduce tile thickness on that wall. I currently have 1/2". What is a min tile thickness to use on that wall? And what thickness thinset would it require?
Not real sure Bob its possible that its fine . but you really should verify there can be quite a bit of tolerance , that's why you could check it with trim .

BobMane

Reaction score
OK what I did is create a mockup of the tile/thinset thickness. I estimated 5/16 (tile) + 1/8 (thinset) = about 7/16.

Since it was 7/16 I just used a piece of the 1/2" kerdi as the tile/thinset thickness. I then added a 1/2" shim to the valve. In the new pics the plaster guard is about 1/8 back from the face of the mockup.

I could bump it an 1/8th more but don't want to go to far out

b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b4.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks