Multi Zone HVAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff1

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with setting up a multi zone HVAC? I have a 2 story, so to keep the upstairs cool, the A/C has to be cranked low - freezing downstairs and marginally cool upstairs. I found some zone controllers and dampers at RCS An A/C rep quoted me $2500 to set up, but I found the parts for about $500 if I do it myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I had that problem, and pretty much solved it with a good sized air return upstairs. I shut the one downstairs off. The floorplan is pretty open. It went from 7-8 degrees difference to in the order of 1-2. I also found that if I partially closed the downstairs ducts and made sure all of the upstairs ones were fully opened, it helps. You must ensure that you get hte proper airflow over the coils, but as long as you do that it will help.

I also found that if you keep the fain on rather than letting it run on auto, the constant air movement made a big difference. I've got a variable speed fan, so on auto, it runs at about 10%, so it is quiet and ecconomical.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks