Multi family building

Users who are viewing this thread

Satursun

Reaction score
I recently remodeled my bathroom and removed a vanity. I capped off the 2" stack at the floor and then the ceiling as well. I left open for five days to make sure the apartment above and below were not tied into the stack. Its been nearly two months with no complaints about odor or drain issues with the apartments above or below. I just want a lil reassurance from a professional that I didn't screw up someone else's unit. It was built in 1908 but must have been updated at some point because it was all pvc pipping. Any answers or pat on the back would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
No one here can tell you what you may have done. You need to be talking to the building owners. Your assumption that the
pipe you cut does not serve others is just that: an assumption. Most condos and apartments forbid tenants/residents from
messing with the plumbing inside walls, and for good reason.

Satursun

Reaction score
No one here can tell you what you may have done. You need to be talking to the building owners. Your assumption that the
pipe you cut does not serve others is just that: an assumption. Most condos and apartments forbid tenants/residents from
messing with the plumbing inside walls, and for good reason.

Satursun

Reaction score
I completely agree and didn't use good judgment on this. I did talk to the homeowners association president and he said they were separate but I just wanted to check with pros. Next time that's who I'll be calling for future renovations. I just couldn't afford it. Thought I could DIY. I'm not a plumber i have mad respect for them now. A lot more going on than I thought. I did check all drains for leaks with a hose I fabricated to fill the drain lines for leaks. After several 30 minute runs there were no leaks. Like I said no odor or drain issues from anyone after nearly 3 months. Just wondering if I can stop worry now. There's no bathrooms above or below the pipi I cut. Sorry if I offended any REAL plumbers. I learned my lesson. The worrying isn't worth it. For anyone reading this. Hire a plumber

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
The weight of the evidence points to the conclusion that you will be OK. I have some experience with condo plumbing work, and my
advice is to NEVER tell anyone that you've done (or had done by a plumber) plumbing work, if it can be avoided. There may be dingbat residents
of your building who will immediately start trying to blame you for every little noise or problem in their unit, whether it
has any relation to what was done or not, or even if it relates to plumbing at all.

Satursun

Reaction score
The weight of the evidence points to the conclusion that you will be OK. I have some experience with condo plumbing work, and my
advice is to NEVER tell anyone that you've done (or had done by a plumber) plumbing work, if it can be avoided. There may be dingbat residents
of your building who will immediately start trying to blame you for every little noise or problem in their unit, whether it
has any relation to what was done or not, or even if it relates to plumbing at all.
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The association president probably does NOT know any more than you do about what is connected to the piping. You have to ask someone who knows what they are doing and can actually LOOK AT the piping before you do anything.

Asktom

Reaction score
If instead of capping the top and bottom you instead spliced in a piece of 2" to hook them together (probably using shielded hub less connectors) there is no possible way that there could be a new problem created. It is possible the pipe you plan on capping is a vent for another fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks