Muddy water

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick J

Reaction score
I have a 5 inch well that is 245 ft deep and has a 50 ft plastic casing that is 12 years old and no problems until today.

This afternoon the water starts to come out brown (muddy).

Weather conditions in IN are as follows. Cold and snowy the past couple of weeks and the last few days it has got to 50 degrees and has rained a couple inches today.

What could be my problem? Thanks for any help.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
First thoughts are the seal on the outside of your casing has failed and surface water is entering your well. Probably from the "couple of inches of rain today".

Is there rainwater ponding around the well? Does the ground slope away from the well to keep water from ponding? How high above ground level does the casing extend?

Rick J

Reaction score
No ponding around well and ground does slope away. Casing is several inches above ground.

Interesting observation on the water I put in a clear glass last night. Nothing has settled and has stayed the same cloudiness as when it came out of the tap.

I just poured my water out of the glass and there was a very slight amount of settling at the bottom (very silty, fine ).

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
As mentioned, probably a failed seal where the casing presumably is supposed to seal to the bedrock. What is the static water level in the well? Maybe a down-hole camera could inspect the seal.

Get the water tested for bacterial contamination right away.

Rick J

Reaction score
Ran water thru outside water hose for the last 3 hours and water has cleared up. It has not rained now for 12 hours.

We will not drink water until tested and treated. Continuing to run water for another hour or two.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks