Moving washing maching 90 degrees to new wall

Users who are viewing this thread

C-Lo

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm working on expanding a small laundry room and I wanted to rotate the machines 90 degrees against a new wall. I will also be replacing the washer and dryer to be front loading and will be adding a utility sink to the left of the current laundry hookups. I'm wondering if I will be able to have a 90 degree turn going from the new wall into the old wall to reconnect where the old drain & vent were located? Single story with a raised foundation.
Thanks for any help!
Washer90.jpg
WasherSketchUp.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to make sure the vent is there. The sink gets a vent and the washer gets a vent.
If you go around the corner, it's likely to be over five feet, and will need a vent, that can be tied back to the existing vent.

washer_rough_b.jpg

C-Lo

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Terry! So, I did a very rough mock up of what I'm thinking. The old drain & vent are a 90 degree turn and about 6 feet from where I would like to put the new drain. Are you recommending adding a vent into the new wall? And does my 90 degree turn from the new wall to the old wall seem okay, or is it likely to get backed up?

Move_Washing_Machine90.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 90 is fine. There needs to be a vent within 60" of the trap.
That can be added if needed and revented to the existing vent.

The trap on the sink needs to be at the same level as the trap arm.

C-Lo

Reaction score
Hey Terry,
Does something like this seem proper? The placement of the new vent would be around 50" from the washing machine trap. I moved up the trap arm on the sink too. Thanks again!
Move_Washing_Machine_90Vent.jpg

clix

Reaction score
Hey Terry,
Does something like this seem proper? The placement of the new vent would be around 50" from the washing machine trap. I moved up the trap arm on the sink too. Thanks again!
View attachment 38794

C-Lo, what are you using for that last diagram? Is that Sketchup with a plumbing object set / plugin?

C-Lo

Reaction score
Hey clix, yeah, it's Sketchup (the free version). I used the 3d warehouse to try to find plumbing objects that would be close, but it's kind of a crapshoot. I took pieces of things other people had built that were similar and deleted what I didn't need :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that's the right concept, but it's in the details that may need to be tweaked. I think that revent from the WM would need to be higher up. As I read the code, it's 6" above the flood rim of the other devices on that drain line, so 6" above the rim of the sink, or 42" above the floor, whichever is higher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks