Moving washing machine away from standpipe

Users who are viewing this thread

tonyttt

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in PA and have a washing machine in the basement which drains to a standpipe. There is a trap below the standpipe (under the slab). I am framing the walls and moving the washer to the other side of the room. The existing standpipe will be behind the new wall.
  • Am I able to run a 2" horizontal drain line behind my new wall from the new washer location to the standpipe?
  • If so, how long should the vertical section of the 2" drain be at the washer hookup box before the 90 degree fitting which turns the drain horizontal?
  • Is a second trap needed closer to the washer? The washer will be approximately 7' from the standpipe (see picture).
  • If it is acceptable to have the trap so far from the washer, I assume there will be venting requirements. Would a vent be necessary and if so would it be at the origination near the washer or at the point where the horizontal section ties into the existing standpipe?

thanks

Attachments

• washer horiz drain.pdf
    22.1 KB · Views: 320

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would cut a santee in to the main stack there, and run from there. You will need a p-trap and venting for the p-trap.
I would not bother with the existing location, but I would cap it.

Last edited:

tonyttt

Reaction score
I would cut a santee in to the main stack there, and run from there. You will need a p-trap and venting for the p-trap.
I would not b other with the existing location, but I would cap it.

Thanks!! I wish I thought of it when I replaced the cast iron above that. I will try to wriggle the new section into a cemented coupling at the top connecting to pvc and a banded coupling to the cast iron. I may try to remove the section of cast from the hub and use a dougnut and pvc into the hub but that may be a challenge since I have the section above already in place.
Thanks again for your guidance

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks