Moving washer/install for drain plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

ajtemple

Reaction score
I am moving our washer/dryer from kitchen into an old walk-in closet in the hallway. It backs up to the guest bathroom, so hot/cold water and 1 1/2" drain are right there. There is also a 4" vertical stack about 40" away, but hard to get to.

Can I drop my standpipe just above or just below the existing horizontal sink drain, install P-trap and "Y" into the horizontal drain? Would there be any vent problems with the 4" being that close?

I'm trying to install a picture so you can see what I'm looking at.
thanks for the help.
John

Attachments

• Washer Plumbing 007.jpg
    Washer Plumbing 007.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,541
  • Washer Plumbing 006.jpg
    Washer Plumbing 006.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,103

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Washing machine must drain into a 2" line, and by most codes cannot share a branch line with another fixture.

ajtemple

Reaction score
My existing washer is 1 1/2" so I thought 1 1/2" here would be okay. It may also be posible to use 2", bring it down below sink drain, then run horizontally through 3 studs into 4" vertical. Would I need a separate vent for that?

ajtemple

Reaction score
Thanks. I did go ahead and run 2" over to the 3" (not 4" like I first stated) vertical stack. Took a little planning, but came out well and hopefully all within code. My standpipe is 30", p-trap within 12" of floor, and a vertical run of 44" to vertical stack, so don't need extra venting.

Please let me know if anyone sees a problem.
Thanks.
John

Attachments

• Washer Plumbing 025.jpg
    Washer Plumbing 025.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 14,495
  • Washer Plumbing 018.jpg
    Washer Plumbing 018.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,033
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks