Moving Soil Stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew S.

Reaction score
80E4FE10-D46E-4EA0-9417-2CB6462E5762.jpeg
I am renovating my basement and when I removed a plywood box the previous owner had built in I found the soil stack entering the slab at an obnoxious angle. See picture.

As my options are to cover the pipe up by extending an enclosure around it or to make it go away into the floor, I thought I’d ask for some professional opinions. I already asked my father, who is a retired contractor from a small town, and his thought was that whoever set the dwv pipe was just too lazy to jackhammer through the foundation footing, but he is not a plumbing expert.

The only thing that feeds into this stack is a kitchen sink. I know not to cover up the clean out. I researched and if I was to replace the fitting I would use a long sweep, and that my horizontal would need a slope of 1/4” every foot. I plan to jackhammer out enough to cut out the 45 and add a coupling fitting, and then connect to the vertical part of the stack in the wall with the sweep, then cover and finish with concrete.

I am certain that all the main utilities (gas, electric, sewer) all enter from other points on the house. I am also fairly certain that working around the existing wall/plate is going to be a pain.

Thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

Andrew S.

Reaction score
Just jackhammer enough so you can move the 45 down under the surface.

Well, there are two 45 fittings, one from vertical to 45 and another from 45 to almost horizontal. If I move the top one down, I will have to move the bottom one further toward the wall or change the angle. I was thinking it would be easier to use a sweep instead of new 45 angle couplings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks