Moving Shower Drain Rough Stub

Users who are viewing this thread

dispacc

Reaction score
Good Morning, I need to move a rough in shower pan stub about 5-6" after a remodel. Is there anything wrong with setting up an offset with two 45s and straight piece right before the in ground P-Trap as shown in the image below? The P Trap sits about 20" below the surface. Thank You!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To clarify...you want to move the pipe above the p-trap?

Keep in mind that anything above the p-trap is subject to becoming smelly if the pipe walls collect any body oils, dead skin, soap scum, etc. The longer that riser from the trap is, the more likely it will eventually smell. I think there is a code provision on how tall the riser can be, but don't think there is an issue with the amount of bends you want to put there, although you may be close to the maximum drop before the p-trap. There could be problems underground after the p-trap. There's a regulation that indicates how many degrees change of direction there can be without a cleanout, and that MIGHT apply. It's best to avoid making additional changes of direction.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Good Morning, I need to move a rough in shower pan stub about 5-6" after a remodel. Is there anything wrong with setting up an offset with two 45s and straight piece right before the in ground P-Trap as shown in the image below? The P Trap sits about 20" below the surface. Thank You!

It looks like you are planning to use a PVC Liner. IMO, there are better shower waterproofing methods/technologies available now.

This would be a great time to switch to a "surface membrane" waterproofing (like Kerdi or USG Durock Shower System). Those are superior to the PVC liner (old) technology. Either of these membrane methods requires a different style drain - which is why I mention this now.

This is a cutaway of the Kerdi system, where the "orange material is the Kerdi membrane. Note how the drain has a "bonding flange". The Kerdi membrane is adhered to the pan and drain with thinset (not shown in picture).

kerdidrain.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks