Moving / resizing heating pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

brainbone

Reaction score
I'm in the process (radiators are draining as I type this) of removing the larger, low hanging, huge, iron heating pipes from the basement, then relocating and replacing them (with copper?) to gain more headroom for a basement remodel.

Right now, the feed from the boiler (Weil-mclain HE-5) immediately reduces to 1" copper, splits to a 3/4" zone feeding two kick space heaters, and a 1" zone that then splits to 2 3/4" copper lines that increase to (~3" ?) iron pipes (the pipes I'm removing) that feed the front and back of the house (3 cast iron radiators on 1st floor, and 3 on 2nd). Exact opposite for the return. I'll be adding a 3rd zone for an indirect water heater and a 4th for baseboard radiators in the basement during this process.

Any general words of wisdom out there you would like to share?

I'm familiar with running copper, so its my first choice, but would entertain pex if I can be convinced otherwise.

How about pipe sizing?

Last edited:

brainbone

Reaction score
That's the way it was installed when I purchased the house.

I added the 3/4 line to the 2 kick space heaters, and they seemed to work fine with that, but I always wondered if the 3/4 lines, each eventually feeding 3 large cast iron radiators, was large enough. The radiators do get hot though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks