Moving my kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Lstanley

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am working on remodeling my kitchen and need to move my sink. Everything is very straight forward other than how am I going to properly install a P trap. As of right now the sink is connected to the right vent pipe. There is a bathroom and laundry room above this area, I am not sure what pipes they are using, if it even matters.

Is there a different way other than hole sawing through the 6 studs that will be in my way and connect it to the pipe it is currently connected to?

If I put it in its new location, with the pipe in the wall, would it be sufficient to run the pipe horizontal for about 2 feet. Then drop it vertically into the basement and have it tie into the drain stack where the two current pipes are coming out of? Since it would still run vertical before venting, is this still considered a S trap?

To clarify it better I attached three pictures with the two options I am thinking about.

I appreciate any and all help!

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 272
  • basement.jpg
    basement.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 260
  • basement drain.jpg
    basement drain.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 207

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks to me that you are better off bringing the waste over from the basement to the floor above.
The vent for the kitchen sink can then go up to 42", (six inches above flood level of the kitchen sink) before going horizontal to an existing vent.
Or you could use an AAV to vent inside the cabinet for the sink.

I notice the wall that you would be drilling through has metal air ducting. I would like to think you would want to go around any ducting and not through. Same for critical bearing points.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks