Moving lines from Floor to Wall for Vanity Installation (Townhouse)

Users who are viewing this thread

tom2005

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A newbie here, facing a remodeling of the Master Bathroom (2nd floor) on my Townhouse (tiles and everything). I came across with this dilemma: The water lines and drain pipe come from the floor. The old vanity used to have the underneath covered. The new one will be uncovered and is designed to have the plumbing coming from the wall behind.

The thing is that the wall where I would like to have these lines installed is the end wall of my Townhouse, next to the following unit. I was wondering if this situation is common, doable, or it is simply not allowed since it is the wall that connects with the next Townhouse? I have 2 other bathrooms and they have the plumbing from walls, but those are interior walls. My guess is that there might be a reason why the original developer chose to install the lines from floor in that specific bathroom.

If this can't be done (by code and/or by common sense) I will keep shopping a different vanity then, not that uncovered at the bottom.

(I just cut open a portion of the drywall to peek the frame)

I will appreciate an advice to make a decision here. Thanks in advance!

old.jpeg
new.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like it was a double layer of drywall? That is usually done to provide a specific fire rating, which is what you would expect from a townhouse common wall.

So you'll need to research how to properly repair that double layer of drywall--I expect the seams will have to be staggered, so you'll need to remove a larger area of the front layer than you did of the back layer.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fire rating, I would expect besides the code there could be rules in the HOA or a differant name possibly on townhomes but Those those jobs have a lot of detail that Could vary but it almost certainly is 1 or 2 hour rated and penetrations have strict rules .
you should either change your plan or look into doing this right and legal I would inquire localy with building department and managment . just my 2 cents maybe you have permits and all that?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There could be other structural issues that prevented the plumbing from being placed in that Party wall too. A beam is the most likely scenario.

In some instances like this our designers have a trim box made that matches the cabinetry that allows us to hide the plumbing.

tom2005

Reaction score
... In some instances like this our designers have a trim box made that matches the cabinetry that allows us to hide the plumbing.
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes I ended up buying a different cabinet, with just a small clearance off the floors. Also a small piece of wood (painted same color as cabinet) could help to cover just that part under, and visibly hide the pipes coming from floor. The trim box is a good idea.

Reach4

Reaction score
Good. Try to leave enough clearance for your robot vacuum cleaner to get under there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks