Moving Laundry to basement - help with plumbing decisions

Users who are viewing this thread

MarsellusWallace

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the community - appreciate all the valuable info I've been reading up on, but hoping to get some confirmation on how to best set-up the plumbing for a laundry room being moved into the utility room of my basement.

The house is a 3-level backsplit built in the mid-80s, and the original laundry was placed in the lower level bathroom. We don't like the idea of the washer/dryer across from the toilet, and the furnace room is quite spacious to fit the washer/dryer/sink.

I’ve attached a wide angle pic of the room to show what I’m working with. On the far right is a 1½” ABS drain from the ground level kitchen sink, while the larger pipe on the left is main waste stack using 3” ABS.

Should I connect the washer drain to the 3” Waste stack or the 1.5” kitchen drain? I see that it’s no longer up to code to use 1.5” for the washer, so my thoughts are that I’ll likely have to tap into the 3” waste stack.

I realize many are saying not to use ABS any longer, & avoid the green glue for ABS to PVC connections, and to use the stainless steel banded coupling only. With that said, how do I go about making this connection?

Should I be using an ABS wye connection first, with another short length of ABS, before using the banded coupling to transition to PVC? Or would there be some other better method ?

Hoping to get a proper idea of the layout, including venting, before proceeding

Thanks!

20230126_174125a.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
ABS for drain and vent applications is fine. Preference for ABS vs PVC for DWV piping is a regional thing. Sticking with ABS will make things look more planned.

Yes, tap into the 3 inch. You need a vent, and as I understand it, you can use an AAV for venting your new standpipe trap in Canada. However the AAV needs to be 6 inches or more above the flood level of the standpipe.

MarsellusWallace

Reaction score
ABS for drain and vent applications is fine. Preference for ABS vs PVC for DWV piping is a regional thing. Sticking with ABS will make things look more planned.

Yes, tap into the 3 inch. You need a vent, and as I understand it, you can use an AAV for venting your new standpipe trap in Canada. However the AAV needs to be 6 inches or more above the flood level of the standpipe.
Appreciate the reply!

Initial plan was to tee off the mainstack, horizontal run, with vent branching off, before a p-trap and stand pipe, all to the left of the mainstack, and then running the sinks drain directly into the standpipe.. (I realize some regions require a p trap and separate drain for each, but not the case here)

But I'm now questioning how to tie in the sink's drain into the stand pipe.

The main stack has a clean out near the bottom and, as it stands, the tee fitting would be positioned at ~17" off the ground.. this will meet minimum height for the standpipe's p-trap, but my current laundry sink's drain is pretty low, less than 17" from ground.. so it wouldn't be able to meet the stand pipe high enough to drain into there
1. Is the clean out absolutely required?
2. Should I raise the sink by placing it on a platform? Or get another sink that stands higher?

Any ideas on best approach here? Hoping there's something better I haven't thought of.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks