Moving Into New Home - Changing the Locks - Builder Has a Magic Key to Reset Locks???

Users who are viewing this thread

Suceress

Reaction score
I know that Kwikset made some locks that you could re-key yourself. I believe you needed to use the original key for the lock and turn it, then use the special key designed for rekeying and turn it at a different increment, then put in the new key that you wanted it to be keyed to and turn it a different direction. Schlage locksets can also be re-keyed but it is a little more complicated and Schlage makes sturdier locks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just change the key to the safe and don't worry about the front door lock.

Just kidding.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Locks only keep honest people out! If a thief wants in they will find a way
^this^

IMHO, thieves are by the very nature of their behavior, lazy opportunists. Unless you've got some specific thing they know about and want, the best defense is deterrence, things that encourage selecting a better or easier target / victim:
  1. Good lighting
  2. Web cam(s) mounted in plain sight
  3. Alarm Co. stickers on the windows
  4. Dog(s)
  5. Help wanted signs
  6. Clown stuff
  7. Etc.

Last edited:

Suceress

Reaction score
^this^

IMHO, thieves are by the very nature of their behavior, lazy opportunists. Unless you've got some specific thing they know about and want, the best defense is deterrence, things that encourage selecting a better or easier target / victim:
  1. Good lighting
  2. Web cam(s) mounted in plain sight
  3. Alarm Co. stickers on the windows
  4. Dog(s)
  5. Help wanted signs
  6. Clown stuff
  7. Etc.
True. And quite frankly, a lot of burglars will just break windows to get in if they have too much trouble with the door.

Another deterrence I've found is having a large cow with horns who likes to chase people. But I suppose that probably wouldn't work in a suburban setting. LOL.

locknmore

Reaction score
Kwikset Smart key system is very easy to use and re-keying your lock can be done in less then 20 seconds; However these locks are less secure then a regular lock. I work for a company called Lock N More and we work on Smart Key systems. We charge $15-$20 per cylinder re-key with a minimum service call charge if we come out to your home.

AcidWater

Reaction score
What's the latest on countering "bumping" locks to open them? Are all locksets for sale now "bump proof" or do you need to look for that feature on the packaging?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Locks are graded as to their effectiveness. A grade 1 lock is more secure than a grade 2, and so on. Depends on what you want to spend and your tolerance levels.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks