Moving Drains Under Slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Justin_P

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm remodeling an old bathroom built in the late 70s and am swapping out the cast iron tub for a new, larger walk-in shower. I am moving the shower drain from the tub location to be centered on the shower floor. I also need to move the toilet over to make room for the new shower.

I just got all the plumbing exposed today and wanted to get some advice. I'll be removing more concrete tomorrow to expose the wye for the toilet now that I know what I'm dealing with.

What is the best way to route the drain for the new toilet? It needs to be offset a bit from the main drain as shown, and there is also another wye for the shower drain crowding the area.

I9VpMru.jpg

Over in the shower it is less complicated, but the water supply lines are below the top of the drain and one of them is resting on the drain. So the way I see it I have to reroute the supply lines above the drain elevation so I can make the turn to the new P trap at the shower. No questions here unless someone sees something wrong with my plans.

KjJdtVz.jpg

CZehXgC.jpg

zQRjadZ.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like the toilet gets a new wye turned the other direction. A bit more concrete will need to be removed.

The shower drain could long turn 90 over if it's within distance. I think Florida is IPC which allows eight feet on 2"
Or they also make shower pans with the drains on the end instead of at the center.

Justin_P

Reaction score
It looks like the toilet gets a new wye turned the other direction. A bit more concrete will need to be removed.

The shower drain could long turn 90 over if it's within distance. I think Florida is IPC which allows eight feet on 2"
Or they also make shower pans with the drains on the end instead of at the center.

Thanks, Terry. This site is an excellent resource. One thing I'm unsure of is if I put a new wye in a mirror image, just like the existing site, it will actually be too far to the right. Would a couple 45s on the vertical be acceptable to bring it back a bit to the left?

For the shower are you saying I could leave the trap where it is and use a long 90 on the vertical to head to the new drain?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will want to have the trap for the shower under the drain. Whether it's in the center or at the end.

What is the offset off the 3" there that you want the toilet at? Would a wye with a street 45 placed further downline work there?

Justin_P

Reaction score
Thanks, I'd like to have the toilet offset from the main drain by ~4" center to center. I'll have to pick up a street 45 to see if that would do the trick.

Thanks again,
Justin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks