Moving Drain (& supply lines in the way) for shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A written code only tells you what you are allowed to do.
"Shall rise vertically" means that it is the only way which it is approved to be done.

The drain line can be re-routed in any direction that will bring you to a wall in which you can run the vent.
New York State Plumbing Code- The vent "shall rise vertically" (905.4) within 6 feet of the trap. (906.1)

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
You can interpret the code incorrectly all you want, you're still in the wrong, it says so right there.

I already told you how you could do this properly, but you chose instead to ignore that advice and try to use the existing drain with slight modifications. I asked what was under the bathroom for a reason. It is more work, but sometimes doing things properly takes more work.

Hiperco

Reaction score
I take offense to the wording "chose to ignore". I am faced with a very difficult situation here, trying to make right what someone did incorrectly before me. The space below this job is finished living space (a half bath to be precise).

The code is written in a manner leaving it unclear. If horizontal runs are strictly prohibited, it should say so. To me all it says is how high you need to run the vent before stopping. It also says the vents should be graded to drain.

I take it neither of you have access to the UPC, to answer my question about what it says about flat venting?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I take it neither of you have access to the UPC, to answer my question about what it says about flat venting?

I do not, because my state has it's own code. If you live in a state that has it's own code, you have to follow it first and foremost.

If you want to try to avoid the code, call your plumbing inspector over and ask him what he will allow. He's the only one that should be signing off on your work.

Hiperco

Reaction score
The "best" way of doing things needs to address ALL design parameters and constraints, and may mean compromises in form while still achieving the required function. Given the presence of the cable bundle (and the holes in the joists not properly placed already), the presence and routing of the water supply lines, the proximity of the main waste pipe, the proximity of the water closet connection to the main waste pipe, the need to center the drain in the shower floor, the finished living space below, etc, my proposed design accommodates these constraints and provides a vent to the drain that will almost certainly work without issue for the life of the structure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks