Moving Drain (& supply lines in the way) for shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
It would have been quite easy to do it correctly when the house was built as well...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Traps without vents work MUCH BETTER than traps with vents, usually, but that is why they need vents. Otherwise they work so well that they drain ALL the water out of the trap also. You do not have a "close to S trap", you have a FULL S trap. That elbow going into the wall below makes it an S trap. Since there is a partion/wall supporting the joist, you can drill the hole anywhere under the shower that it has to go.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; how about an Air Admittance Valve (AAV) inside that wall, with an access panel?

How about just running a pipe up into the attic, and from there, either connecting to the main vent, which should be fairly close, or running the pipe through the roof, and doing it "right"?

Hiperco

Reaction score
The "back" wall of the shower is where the roof meets the wall, and the pitch of the roof is shallow enough that you can't get all the way over there. The further away from that wall I go the better of course, I'll have to investigate. Is there a major concern with AAV's, such that they really aren't recommended?

I'm puzzled on what an acceptable way would be to route the vent line, assuming I need to run the vent line horizontal (or nearly so) until it could turn and go up the wall. I guess this would be a flat vent, with a wye rotated above the center line of the drain?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The vent line still needs a minimum slope, and there is a limit on how long it can be based on the pipe size, but yes, you can run it horizontally to get it out of the bottom of the shower - it's done all of the time - the most common place for a drain in a shower is exactly in the middle. If that partition wall goes to the ceiling, you could go up it into the attic.

An AAV will eventually fail since it is a mechanical device. Gravity and a traditional vent should last forever without issues.

Hiperco

Reaction score
Do P-traps have to exit straight? Or can I do as shown in the attached pictures? (This would make my life a lot easier, as I wouldn't have to move either supply line.)

IMG_0463 (Medium).jpgIMG_0464 (Medium).jpg

Hiperco

Reaction score
I see you don't plan on correcting anything we mentioned...

Man this is a tough crowd! I'm not sure how you concluded that, since I AM planning to correct the vent issue. :confused: Below is a concept showing how I might be able to run the fittings to allow a 1 1/2 inch flat vent to run under the floor and then up the wall (the vent line will turn to the left, I just don't have that elbow yet, still strategizing ;) )

But back to my original question, can I turn the exit to the trap like that? :)

P1000264 (Medium).jpg

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your rough layout looks about right, thought its hard to tell exactly what the plan is. P traps turn like that all the time, as far as I know there's no code issue with it.

Why was/are you plumbing a shower in 3"? You'd probably have a little easier time with clearances with the normal 2" drain and 1.5" vent.
This is an easy vent job, as they go... take it up into the attic and tie it in to the main stack. AAVs can be useful when it is extremely difficult or impossible to run a hard vent, but should be avoided most of the time.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah, in looking more closely at it... so it isn't. I've been working in these old Pittsburgh houses too long (the framing is all like 2.5" wide, not 1.5"), so the proportions looked off at first glance, making the pipe look quite large compared to the joists. My mistake.

Hiperco

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm just trying to help.

And I DO appreciate the help :)

Regarding the vent line, I'm thinking it will turn to the left off the Y and cross over then turn up in the wall. I will rotate the Y so that it's above the center line.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes, just rotate the street 45 you have in there so that it points toward the side wall and take it up the wall into the attic. use an upside down 3/1.5 (or 4/1.5 if you have a 4" stack) tee to tie the vent into the main stack in the attic, no hole in roof required. you don't have to pitch it up much, 1/4" per foot is the standard. just enough that water will take the easy route that is pitched downhill rather than climbing up the vent.

Hiperco

Reaction score
So I climbed into the attic today. As feared, the vent stack is nearly at the roof line. Tying into it would be very very unpleasant, if not impossible. I've attached a picture, but it doesn't really do justice to the (lack of) clearance situation.

Will I be branded "uncool" (or lazy?) if I just use an AAV? FYI, behind that left wall is a closet so it really isn't an issue having an access panel for the AAV there...

IMG_0465 (Medium).jpg

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where is the shower, specifically the wall we suggested venting through, in relation to the stack? I see a vent line tying into the stack back there, that while not overly pleasant to do, wouldn't be that hard to tie into, as it looks like you might not have room to Tee off of the main stack itself.

Personally, I take whatever possible measures to hard vent every line, and if its not possible, find another possible way. If that fails, and its a lav or kitchen sink, I'll consider installing AAV's in the cabinet under the sink where they breathe well and are easy to access. To date, I've never put an AAV on a shower, it just seems like a bad idea. From everything you've shown us, this does not look like an overly difficult job to properly vent, though granted crawling through all that loose fill insul isn't gonna be the most pleasant of jobs.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
hiperco this has nothing to do with being "cool".

The vent isn't supposed to be horizontal or flat until 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture...

I bet that isn't the only vent stack in your attic?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's easy enough to just pop a new vent through the roof, especially if it's comp.

You can also daylight an AAV in the attic.

For a shower vent, you can cut into the 1.5" or 2" vent laying horizontal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks