Moving Bathroom, need input on Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshK

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im located in WNY, Were in the process of remodeling our home and would like to move the bathroom to create a more open concept. The current bathroom is a shower/toilet/sink that is located in the center rear of the home right near the main plumbing stack. Our goal is to move the bathroom to the outside corner of the home, some 12-15 feet away from the main stack. The new bathroom is desired to be a walk-in shower/ stand alone tub/toilet/and sink. From what I understand, the distance this would be from the main stack, It would need to be separately vented. Im having a hard time trying to picture in my mind what the ideal way for my waste lines and venting to go in. Im a mason by trade so I can hold my own, but will probably be bringing in a plumber to help out, I just like to get an understanding. Ive provided a few drawings of our layout, any help would be great and appreciated.

Note: The only walls to run a vertical vent to the upstairs through the 2nd story roof are the 2 exterior walls. There is the master bedroom that is directly above the new desired bathroom.

Attachments

• Bathroom layout.gif
    Bathroom layout.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Bathroom layout 2.png
    Bathroom layout 2.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 160

Reach4

Reaction score
New York state follows IPC.

https://up.codes/viewer/new_york/ipc-2015/chapter/7/sanitary-drainage#704

You would probably run 3 inch pipe to the big drain line where the old toilet went. 1/8 inch per foot slope would be OK. There would probably be a 4x3 closet elbow under the toilet.
The shower and lavatory would wye into that with 3 inch. The lavatory would be vented potentially with an AAV, but you could bring a real vent over from the existing vent, if it is proper, higher than 42 inches above the floor. Could you do that across the ceiling maybe? I am not a plumber.

https://up.codes/viewer/new_york/ipc-2015

JoshK

Reaction score
New York state follows IPC.

https://up.codes/viewer/new_york/ipc-2015/chapter/7/sanitary-drainage#704

You would probably run 3 inch pipe to the big drain line where the old toilet went. 1/8 inch per foot slope would be OK. There would probably be a 4x3 closet elbow under the toilet.
The shower and lavatory would wye into that with 3 inch. The lavatory would be vented potentially with an AAV, but you could bring a real vent over from the existing vent, if it is proper, higher than 42 inches above the floor. Could you do that across the ceiling maybe? I am not a plumber.

https://up.codes/viewer/new_york/ipc-2015
Thats what I was thinking. I was also considering running a new vent on the exterior wall behind the toilet, all the way through to the roof. My only question with that is how would I go about tying everything else into that, wet venting, etc..?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. I was also considering running a new vent on the exterior wall behind the toilet, all the way through to the roof. My only question with that is how would I go about tying everything else into that, wet venting, etc..?
You mean like elbows and wyes? https://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf has some good info. They show black ABS pipes and fittings. You will use white PVC. No problem it is a regional preference.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/wet-venting-vs-individual-venting.65823/ has some discussions. The discussions there are for UPC which is usually more restrictive than IPC.

JoshK

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
Yeah pretty much. I guess just the layout of all 4 pieces connected. Ive seen alot of diagrams of wet venting, and wasnt sure if I were to go that route, what ties into what and where..
Did the diagrams in #5 and #6 of my second link do anything for you?

JoshK

Reaction score
So this is basically what i had in mind, is there anything Id have to change about that?

Attachments

• Venting.png
    Venting.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 165

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The best option may be to add a wall to the shower and vent the tub and shower there.
The toilet could be separately vented, or perhaps wet vented by the lav. A good location for a cleanout would be at the lav for the toilet.
The toilet can be run with 3".

bathroom-12-29.jpg

JoshK

Reaction score
The best option may be to add a wall to the shower and vent the tub and shower there.
The toilet could be separately vented, or perhaps wet vented by the lav. A good location for a cleanout would be at the lav for the toilet.
The toilet can be run with 3".

View attachment 58052
So the shower is gonna be a wall, it was just gonna go 3/4 of t he way up so the top is open. I can make changes to that though to run a vent vertically.

If I were to run a vent at the lav and wet vent the toilet to it, where am I running that vent? Is it a AAV?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're either doing atmospheric venting, or using an AAV(s)
They need to be accessible for air intake and for replacement when they fail.
And AAV needs to be at lest 4" above a trap arm. Six inches or higher above flood level is even better.

JoshK

Reaction score
You're either doing atmospheric venting, or using an AAV(s)
They need to be accessible for air intake and for replacement when they fail.
And AAV needs to be at lest 4" above a trap arm. Six inches or higher above flood level is even better.

Ok, exscuse all my questions. Trying to learn a thing or 2.

So The AAV or atmospheric vent would go beneath the sink with the toilet tied into that?

JoshK

Reaction score
So I ended up having a plumbing buddy come by and do the work. I attatched a diagram of what he did, everything look right?

Appreciate all of the input. Great forum.

Attachments

• bathroom4.jpg
    bathroom4.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 141

JoshK

Reaction score
If you are bringing in a plumber, if he is any good, you will NOT have to "help him out", because HE will decide how to run the piping.

ok? Didnt say I was helping him out. Just wanted to know if what he was doing was acceptable and to learn a thing or two about a different trade.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks