Moving basement Washing Machine

Users who are viewing this thread

SwiftMKIII

Reaction score
I am trying to move a washing machine, which will effectively move the machine from one waste stack to another.

1. How to vent the washing machine drain?
  • Air Admittance Valve - I understand this doesn't work with pressurized output, like from a washing machine
  • Tie into current vent - This vent is 29 linear feet away, around the perimeter of the basement walls (see floor plan sketch), and vent into a separate waste stack (though I don't think that matters)
  • Other Vent - I have looked into wet vents, loop vents, stack vents, etc.; I have no idea how to tie any of these into the existing stack

2. Washing machine drain
  • Can I tie the washing machine drain, with P-Trap and previously discussed vent, in above the clean-out in the wast stack? This drain will travel about 4', under the stairs in the basement, and tie into the existing waste stack (see Proposed Change).

I welcome any recommendations, as the layout of my basement does not allow for finishing with the washer and dryer in their current location. I am intending to move the washer and dryer to a "common" area beside the stairs, and put a bedroom where the current laundry is located.

For future proofing, I am also interested in putting a full bath in the area above the stack I am trying to tie into (beside the stairs). The rough in is there, but I will need some vents tied in when that work is done as well. I assume the bathroom drain vents will tie in similarly to the washing machine vent?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I am willing to provide additional sketches or photographs of the area if that helps with the advice.
Existing%20Stack.png

Floor%20Plan.png

SwiftMKIII

Reaction score
So, After doing event more investigation, I have found that the rough-ins for the basement bathroom has a 2" DWV pipe that might be plumbed as a vent. I went through all of the sinks, tubs, and toilets and none of them drain through this pipe. The picture below is a sketch the layout of the rough-ins.
Rough-In%20Layout.png

The Sink drain is a 2" pipe that enters the foundation below, and goes up through the ceiling above. The picture below is an elevation sketch, noting the sink drain. Would this rough in include a vent, and would this be it, as none of the house sinks, tubs, toilets drain down that pipe?
Rough-In%20Elevation.png

If this is a drain, it is about 16 linear feet from the proposed washing machine location in the previous post. Can I use this vent for the washer? The house is 2 levels above ground (10' ceilings), and the basement has 8' ceilings.

SwiftMKIII

Reaction score
Terry, Thanks for the response!

Just to verify, 16' vent run is not too long?
Anything to be aware of when tying into the 3" near the stairs.
  • 18"-42" standpipe
  • 2" x 1 1/2" x 2" tee within 5" of standpipe/P-Trap
  • 1/4" or more slope out to the 3"
  • Sanitary Tee into the 3"
    • Can I use a long sweep combo?
  • 1 1/2" vent from above the 2" x 1 1/2" x 2" Tee
  • 1/4" or more slope on the vent
    • Toward or away from the washer?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the horizontal is more that one third the vertical on the vent, they like to see it up one size.
Coming off the 3" either a santee or a combo, and the vent on the arm over to the p-trap and standpipe if it's on it's back is a combo. If it's on the vertical, a santee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks