Moving an upstairs toilet in a 1926 house...

Users who are viewing this thread

salshouse

Reaction score
I think I know what I want to do with this (maybe, kinda, sorta!), but I sure would appreciate some words of wisdom from some pros!! I want to move the toilet down about 3 feet...right now the stack bends 90 degrees up through the floor, with the toilet, sink drain, and drum trap all connected to some weird fitting. The tub and sink aren't moving, but I am adding a double sink vanity, and that old corroded drum trap is outa there. I'm thinking I need to remove the 90 degree elbow at the top of the stack and replace everything from there, but I'm not sure how to go about getting that old elbow off!! Any suggestions on how best to approach this would be hugely appreciated!!
upstairs bathroom.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This may not be the best first plumbing job for a DIY. Dealing with cast iron can be a pain and bringing 100 year old plumbing up to modern code can be worst. I realize you're trying to save money, we all are, but there are times when we have to admit that some jobs can require more than just some pointers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind...anything you add or touch would need to be done to meet CURRENT plumbing codes. IOW, it is often not possible to just replicate what was there, as, 100-years ago, they did not know as much as we know now, and the codes have changed (if they even existed back then!) so that things are more reliable and work under more conditions. CI stuff is very heavy, and depending on where you cut it or take it apart, you may need to properly support the rest to keep things from crashing or crushing stuff.

salshouse

Reaction score
This isn't my first DIY plumbing job, Gary, just my biggest! And I'm not just replicating it the way it was before, Jim. I'm changing out everything, and adding vent lines, so I'm here so the pros' can help stop me from making any mistakes. My main stack ends right there at the toilet flange, vents thru the roof from a tee just below the elbow, so I don't have any drain to support above, but I will check and see if any the the stacks weight is being supported from in the bath before I take the elbow off tomorrow...got everything out today up to the elbow, wanted to make sure my sawzall would be up to the task (hurray, it is!) . The drum trap and sink drain were both full of gunk, less than a half inch of drain clear on both of them!! Planning on using a donut to connect new PVC line into the cast stack tomorrow ..and fullysprinkled, the toilet will be moving to the right.
Thanks for all the interest and input, guys, any thoughts you have make me think harder....

salshouse

Reaction score
Whew, got the hub cleaned out! Followed Terry's advice from another post and drilled out the lead with a 1/4 inch bit all the way around and chiseled it all out...took a long time, but it's done! Sawzall with a metal cutting blade gets through CI slowly but surely. Off to a plumbing supply shop tomorrow for the right donut....big box 4 inch too small, not snug at all. Now the fun part, laying out the drain lines!
clean hub.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like a three foot move to the right is going to put you on the wrong side of an engineering issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks