Moving a toliet flange over between floor joists

Users who are viewing this thread

TFB5

Reaction score
I want to expand my 2nd floor shower 3-4" out, but I want to move the toilet over to make the room. The waste pipe is near the center of the two joists, so I have space to move the waste pipe horizontally, probably by 3-4". Floor boards will be pulled up , so we can get to the piping easily.

How big of a job would this be and is it doable? Anything that I need to watch out for?

Thanks,

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that the closet flange is about midway between joists. Nice. You probably will be fine, but you will not know what you are dealing with until you get in there. Is that cast iron or PVC drain plumbing that you have?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It will depend on the swing that the fittings give you.
Plastic fittings are an interference fit. They don't bottom out in the hubs of the fittings with out the solvent glue that allows them to slide in.
We measure without dry fitting, and then quickly assememble the pieces together.
So, figure out what the fittings allow first, and then adjust the hole in the flooring to that.

TFB5

Reaction score
Its all PVC, so that should be easier. I know that I need to be careful to minimize the angle of the swing. I think that I will be lucky here. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks