Moving 3" vent pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

mtn_plumb

Reaction score
Remodeling a home in the mountains and am at wits end with local plumbers. We've been quoted all over the place... $1,500 all the way to $4,000. I was ready to pay the 1.5k guy, but now he is too busy... and the middle guy said it would still be $2800 without moving any of the supply. There are only a handful of plumbers in the area, making things difficult.

Talking with a plummer in a different city, he said I should do it myself, but I want to get some more feedback before I tear into it.

I have a 3" stack coming up in the middle of the kitchen. Its soil stack from down below. My goal is to move the vent into the wall and add a kitchen sink drain.

Would it be okay to chop the vent up into two 1-1/2" vent pipes and combine those two in the ceiling before exiting the roof?

I created this diagram to help. My worry is that I won't be able to squeeze a 3" vent pipe in the wall.

plumb.jpg

mtn_plumb

Reaction score
1. It takes FOUR 1 1/2" pipes to equal a 3" one.
2. You cannot just install a tee in a vent pipe to connect a sink.
How about two 2" pipes?

The 3" pipe coming up through the floor was serving as a drain for the old kitchen as well as a bathroom. That help?

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect you need don't more than a single 2 inch vent pipe for that area if there are other vents for the house. I could be wrong. I am not a plumber.

mtn_plumb

Reaction score
I suspect you need don't more than a single 2 inch vent pipe for that area if there are other vents for the house. I could be wrong. I am not a plumber.
Its the only vent pipe that pops through the roof... and if I have read codes correctly, a soil stack needs to be 3" (or match) if there are no other vents popping through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks