Move waste line up or down

Users who are viewing this thread

Csukraw

Reaction score
So my new vanity lines up exactly with where the waste line comes out of the wall. If I were to cut the vanity, the shelf would lose all structural integrity so I am forced to move the line in the wall. I basically need to raise it 2 inches. My question is do I need to move the entire sanitary tree? If I do, I’ll need to drill new holes through both studs which is not ideal. Am I able to install 45 degree angles inside the wall to raise the pipe in the wall? Or will that go against code and cause potential syphoning? See photo below for proposed 45 degree angles. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 83F1877F-9F9D-4DA2-A022-806EBE22525E.jpeg
    83F1877F-9F9D-4DA2-A022-806EBE22525E.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 133

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
No vertical jogs between the sanitary tee and the trap, that way lies siphoning. So if you want to raise the height at which the trap arms emerge from the wall, you need to raise the sanitary tee. [In some jurisdictions you could use an air admittance valve in the vanity and then have a downstream vertical jog, but California doesn't allow those.]

Is dropping the vanity down a possibility, by shortening the legs or toe kick?

Cheers< Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have to raise the fixture cross in the wall. You can't use fittings to raise the traps without causing them to siphon the traps dry and make your bathroom the smelliest bathroom on the block.

double_lav_rough_2.jpg

Csukraw

Reaction score
Ok I figured as much. So my only option is to raise the tree. So cutting another hole in each stud a couple inches up isn’t a structural issue?

lowering the vanity isn’t an option either.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code wise, I don't see any discussion in R602.6 about minimum distance between holes. So you could drill your new holes touching or overlapping your old holes. If it's not a bearing wall, then I wouldn't worry further, just drill a 2" hole that lines up across the width with the hole below. [If you use a hole saw, you could pop the cutout back into the old hole, although that's of no structural value].

If it is a bearing wall, then once you exceed 40% of the stud width, you need to either double the stud or use a stud shoe. Not sure if the stud shoe would be compromised by the extra hole. You could check out a Simpson HSS2-SDS1.5 and see if all the fasteners would miss your hole. I'd be inclined to cut out as much drywall height as reasonable and then scab on a reinforcement block with structural screws, and use a double stud shoe.

Cheers, Wayne

Csukraw

Reaction score
Very helpful, thanks guys. Doesn’t seem to be a structural wall so I think I’m good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks