Move toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Joey43

Reaction score
I have access to all the drain components and the 3" basement slab drain. The drain pipe needs to be extended about 1" to better locate the flange. two questions:

How can I extend the horizontal 3" PVC drain pipe approximately 1"?

Is it worth the effort to get the toilet closer than 1.5" to the wall?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest that you post a photo of what you can access.

You have access to the drain pipe, and it is in a slab????

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most toilets will have between 1" and 1/2" behind the tank on a standard 12" rough to finished wall.
I would not bother with breaking concrete to change that if it were my home.

Joey43

Reaction score
I suggest that you post a photo of what you can access.

You have access to the drain pipe, and it is in a slab????
There is a hole with access to all pipes including the 3" drain pipe so no need to break out concrete. If I can attach a coupler or something to extend the 3" drain pipe about 1" to 1.5" I can get a better fit. I bought a 3" coupler, but am not sure that will help me extend the length of the pipe.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are extending the pipe further from the wall to gain space. I would start by finding the end of the horizontal hub of the elbow that you're removing. The coupling you install will have a hub of 1.5" on each end.. so 3" in total. So say you place that coupling on the horizontal pipe at the end of the elbow hub, you would cut where the center of that coupling is. Then when you replace the elbow, your pipe you glue in would be 1" longer (or whatever length you want to add) than the stub out of the cut out pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks