Move sink location, connect to current lines? also marble top question

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by KathyH9835, Jul 7, 2019.

1. KathyH9835

KathyH9835 New Member

First off do I need to support the flooring underneath the house with foundation blocks/treated lumber, etc bc I am adding a very heavy double vanity with a marble top? This is an early 90s mobile home in central FL. There is no damage to the current plywood floor.

I have removed a 60"double vanity in mom's mobile home. There are two "sets" of plumbing consisting of hot/cold water supply lines that are old pvc pipe going down under the floor, the upper end of each is the flexible hose. Each line has a shut off valve and a separate drain for each sink.

Now installing a larger vanity that is 77" wide. The right side plumbing is good, I can easily reconnect everything but the left side plumbing will have to be moved about 18" over in order to accommodate a set of drawers in the center of the vanity. The vanity has both a back that goes against the wall and a floor in the bottom.

There is a small base area underneath that is the kick plate area maybe 4" tall so I think I can run the lines under the drawer area and over to connect to sink?

PVC water supply, can I cut near the bottom, add a "T" connector and extend the pipe over, add an elbow going up, add new shut off valves and connect to sink?

Connect the drain the same way except the "T" piece is actually a "Y" type piece to keep a good downward slope for drainage?

Please advise, thank you.
    Kathy

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    You can run lines beneath the floor of your vanity. You'll probably want to replace the existing shutoff valves and install new along with the supply hoses.

As to the moved sink...it depends. If each one has its own trap, which is sounds like is true, it depends on where they are vented. There's a limitation of how far the trap arm can run before it is vented. General rule, you cannot turn down after the trap until it is vented, so the orientation of things is important as is the distance. How far you can go depends on the diameter of the pipe used on a drain before the required vent. Each trap must be vented.

As to re enforcing the floor for the weight of the countertop...probably isn't necessary. Now, if you're planning to tile things in the bathroom, that could be critical, but figuring out what you have and what's needed on a manufactured home may require more than the conventional charts for deflection, etc. Then, the subflooring would likely also need to be dealt with along with the support structure.

A picture of what's there might help.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Black Belly Whistling Ducks

Retired
    I think you meant CPVC pipe. PVC is not allowed inside a dwelling. Since you're in central Florida, I used Stone Crazy for my bathroom remodel. They have their own quartz countertops that looks just like marble. Since they have there own you only pay for the square footage needed, you don't need to buy a larger piece or slab to get what you want. They also do good work but they are busy.

Pa9n1h3WQlmta6+6AVNjYw_thumb_182.jpg

5. KathyH9835

KathyH9835 New Member

T

6. KathyH9835

KathyH9835 New Member

Thank you. I will get pictures today and post them.
    We've had a long week shifting stuff around and moving, trying to get some type of routine.
    KathyH

7. KathyH9835

KathyH9835 New Member

This set is for the right side sink. I don't have to do anything but connect the supply and the drain.

Identical set for the left sink but I need to connect everything down at the bottom so I can go down to the kick plate area and run under the drawers that are in the new vanity and connect to the sink. Since my original post we have decided to not install the marble top due to the weight so bought another that I will pick up today. I don't know yet how far to the left I'll have to go for the new vanity sinks.

On another plumbing topic, I broke off the outside water spigot when I fell on it, apparently it had a quickie previously. Same pipe as the inside so I'll get new stuff for that when I am in town.

PVC pipe is what I consider to be the all the plastic stuff. I knew there was CPVC also but didn't know what the difference was so I thank you for that info.

KathyH9835

Attached Files: