Move shower floor drain away from vent

Users who are viewing this thread

beaudettee

Reaction score
Hi All:

I removed and old tub and will be installing a stand up shower approx. 3.5 feet (distance of new floor drain from old drain, 1-1/4" copper). The existing vent pipe for the old shower is 1-1/4" galv pipe that enters the floor drain pipe (into 2" black iron "Y" with an elbow) about 6 inches down from the existing (old) copper trap. My plan was to remove the old trap and run the new drain pipe from the existing Y to the new drain (with a trap of course).

My question is, will the existing vent still be effective now being 4 ft away and slightly further down slope of the drain or do I also have to move the vent pipe also? What is the general rule for distance of vent pipe from floor drain?

The house is a 50yr old New England Cape.

Thanks all.

Eric B

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code requires a 2" pipe from the shower all the way to the next bigger drain line. The trap should be directly underneath the drain. If it isn't it is often a big source of smells from the trapped hair, soap scum, etc.

The vent can be up to (I think) 5' from the drain since you can't have it come up through the middle of the shower!

I'd get rid of as much galvanized as possible while doing this, and run the proper 2" over to that 2" drain line.

beaudettee

Reaction score
Thanks

Luckily I have access to all the plumbing from the basement (ceiling) and can install a new drain and trap (directly underneath the drain) as you had mentioned. My hope was to not have to move the vent pipe (although I can replace it) as it goes straight up to into (and under) the second floor floor rafters and would be a bear to re-route.

In the end the vent pipe would be no more than 4' from the new trap.

Thanks.
Eric B

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Luckily I have access to all the plumbing from the basement (ceiling) and can install a new drain and trap (directly underneath the drain) as you had mentioned. My hope was to not have to move the vent pipe (although I can replace it) as it goes straight up to into (and under) the second floor floor rafters and would be a bear to re-route.

In the end the vent pipe would be no more than 4' from the new trap.

Thanks.
Eric B

I would just cut the Galv vent a little and then adapt as needed for your new drain. You have plenty of room to work with the set up you have from the sound of it. Galv vents tend to be fine it is the drains that have real problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks