move castiron tub 1/4"

Users who are viewing this thread

joni41

Reaction score
I'm preparing the walls around an old cast iron tub for tile. (House had no shower.) The tub is in very good condition and I'd like to keep it that way. To make it square with the opening it needs to be moved out just 1/4th inch, toward the room, at one end. It matters because by the time I add thinset and tile there will be noticably less reveal of tub edge at that end. I'm fearful of cracking enamel so my efforts have been timid and NO movement has resulted. I can see no evidence of fastening, but my view is very limited. I could remove a strip of gyp board in room opposite the back, long, wall of the tub if that is necessary to give me direct sight, and perhaps a place to push on the tub. Does anyone have ideas about what is typical? Is it probably fastened down somewhere? The house was built in '58, but I believe the bathroom was remodeled in the 70's and the tub may have been replaced then.
Thanks!
Joni

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tub could easily weigh over 300#, so, it may not budge without a lot of effort. Rotating it could stress the drain assembly, too. While not usually done with a CI tub, it could have been set into a bed of concrete, so it would be setting in a fitted depression. Somebody could have used spray foam under it to add some insulation, essentially gluing it in place. The tub is usually set with the edges on ledger boards, and sometimes they install some screws or nails with the head holding the tub in place. It's probably just that it weighs more than you think...

joni41

Reaction score
opened wall

I decided I could fret longer than it would take me to open and close the living room wall. There are no obvious attachments and the space under it is hollow. It does not rest on the little "feet" at the back, but only on the front lower edge and the top edge that sits on a support screwed to studs at the back. I was able to move one end forward, but turns out that is a minor issue. If I level it front to back then it gets off end to end. I especially don't want it low at back corners where water will sit after showers. But don't want it low at front either so water runs off onto the floor. I'm going to take off for the night and look at it fresh in the morning. Thanks for the reply.
Joni

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

A cast iron tub does not flex. If the front apron is sitting on a level floor, then there is very little possibility of it going off level the way you describe. And moving the tub out 1/4" should not cause ANY deviation from it current levelness.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks