Mounting Bolts Not Long Enough to Attach to Wall Mounted Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

DonLafontaine

Reaction score
I moved into a new place recently that had wall mounted Crane Plumbing toilets that were constantly getting clogged. So I purchased two new American Standard Glenwall models and hired a plumbing company to put them in. The first one went in fine.

On the second toilet, the plumbing company found that some (or all) of the 4 mounting bolts weren’t long enough to connect properly to the new American Standard. The plumbing company proposed having a contractor open up the drywall to get access to the mounting bolts and put in new mounting bolts that were the right length. I spoke to a contractor and he said that the bolts could be unscrewed out of the wall to provide additional length. (I think that’s what he said, but am not entirely sure.)

I am providing a picture that shows the area. Does this mounting bolt look like it can be extended or do I need to open up the drywall?

Attachments

• IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 666

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

DonLafontaine

Reaction score
I really appreciate the thorough response Terry, thanks. The quotes I got for just opening up a patch of drywall and then resealing it were more than the cost of the two toilets themselves, so I'm definitely looking for ways not to open up the drywall. The nuts look like a great solution and any other thoughts (from anyone) would be appreciated as well.

I'll also add that I purchased the Glenwalls after reviewing this forum and the new one that was installed works great and a million times better than the old, so thanks for that thread as well.

Matt

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
I'd try loosening that single nut shown in your picture and unscrewing the threaded stud - and then tightening the nut once the stud stick out far enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks