Most likely source or water around toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Hightechburrito

Reaction score
Remodeling a bathroom and found my subfloor lookin like the attached picture. I had linoleum flooring with 3/8” particle board underpayment on top of the subfloor. The particle board was pretty crumbly above the stain around the toilet flange.

There doesn’t seem to be any major damage to the subfloor. The wood is solid (screws had plenty of bite when taking out underpayment, wood isn’t soft) and isn’t actively wet (moisture meter reads the same value by flange as by door that’s never been wet). I had to cut a few screws off with an oscillating tool and wood color changes to ‘normal’ just under the surface.

I’ve been in the house 7 years and replaced the original toilet just after that, so whatever happened was at least that long ago.

Is there any way to know what the source of this was? Obvious sources are the wax seal being broken, or a toilet overflow. It just seems like a large stain for either one. Although the house was a rental for a long time before I bought it, so who knows how well taken care of it was.

Thanks

Attachments

• 7DA08B19-6F0B-4BCB-A385-C7D70AED4937.jpeg
    7DA08B19-6F0B-4BCB-A385-C7D70AED4937.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 127

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldnt be too worried about it. I cant tell what caused it , other than guess and ask tons of questions. but agree it got wet somehow. new wax and toilet shouldnt be a problem unless you get backups.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks