Most common plumbing service calls that could have been DIY

Users who are viewing this thread

ShaneT

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster, long time listener...

I'm writing an article for a plumbing blog and I'm wondering for the professionals here, what are the most common plumbing service calls that you receive that the average homeowner could have fixed themselves. Thanks in advance for any advice!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As far as I am concerned, NO plumbing service calls should be DIY, unless the person is qualified to do it, an which case they would not call me in the first place. If someone does NOT know how to do the repair, I don't want them doing something to make the repair harder.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm writing an article for a plumbing blog and I'm wondering for the professionals here, what are the most common plumbing service calls that you receive that the average homeowner could have fixed themselves. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Tightening up the hand spray on a kitchen pull-out spout.

Dgeist

Reaction score
Not a plumber, but I'm surprised when I hear of someone (who is otherwise reasonably handy) calling for help on the following:
- Replacing worn out toilet flapper valve
- Clearing debris out of faucet aerators
- Regular water heater draining

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
These COULD be DIY, it the customer KNEW the problem, but usually they only know the symptoms and WE have to determine the cause and cure. Which is why they call us.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
If you believe Amazon, some day soon "Alexa" will be able to help you diagnose many simple plumbing problems. Since they think I am to old and stupid to work for them directly, should I "help" them in my copious spare time?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have customers who call us to change their water filters and clear aerators. Pretty basic stuff if you ask me, some people are better off in condos than homes in the country.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks