Morton softener salt quality getting worse?

Users who are viewing this thread

dc4517

Reaction score
I'm coming across an issue with Morton softener salt purchased from Home Depot where the pellets are no longer white, but now a greyish, brownish, dirty color. Hopefully this is visible in the photos that I attached. Earlier bags with this color salt pellet didn't leave any residue, but just made the water brownish in color. My current bags of salt are now leaving a visible residue, which you can hopefully see on the sides of my tank in the photos. I'm concerned that it's going to clog up my softener as it's recharging.

Are you finding this issue as a common one? Are there other brands of softener salt that I should consider? My local Home Depot only has Morton.

I'm debating on whether to empty out the remaining salt in my talk and clean up the residue. Not relishing that task.

Attachments

• IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 627

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
WOW!!! I'd send those photos directly to Morton Customer Service.. is it superficial? or is that all the way through the pellets?

dc4517

Reaction score
The entire pellet is consistent (i.e. it is not just the surface of the pellet). I have reached out to Morton directly and waiting to hear back. I read a review on Home Depot's website of someone else coming across the same thing, and they showed it to Home Depot staff in the store. They examined every bag of Morton's Clean and Protect (yellow), and they were all the same brownish pellet. I have yet to do the same with my local Home Depot store.

Any suggested alternatives? Not sure who else produces softener salt of good quality.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Most salt is locally sourced. Shipping 50 pound bags of cheap stuff is difficult as shipping can quickly cost more than the product. This is common with items like gravel. We purchase 40,000 pounds every couple of weeks, the shipping is way more than the gravel. Morton pellets in California are not likely the same as Morton pellets in New York. I would try the solar crystal salt they have available to you locally, see if that is any better. Regardless, this is normal and cleaning your brine tank should be done regularly if your locally sourced salt is dirty.

Reach4

Reaction score
Diamond should be good. Costco carries 50 lb bags, but smaller in the iron-treating verison.

I have not opened my latest Morton Clean and Protect Water Softener Pellets (44 lbs.) from, Sams.

ErnieO

Reaction score
Website
www.tristatewater.net
The entire pellet is consistent (i.e. it is not just the surface of the pellet). I have reached out to Morton directly and waiting to hear back. I read a review on Home Depot's website of someone else coming across the same thing, and they showed it to Home Depot staff in the store. They examined every bag of Morton's Clean and Protect (yellow), and they were all the same brownish pellet. I have yet to do the same with my local Home Depot store.

Any suggested alternatives? Not sure who else produces softener salt of good quality.
I have noticed the same thing. I was at a customer's house who had been buying that salt and the tank was really dirty. I cleaned out the tank and switched over to Diamond Crystal Bright water softener salt pellets. Seems to be cleaner and not leaving the black film in the brine tanks.

Frandy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Its now 2023 and my water softer has a lot of what appears to be dirt at the bottom from the grey morton salt. We also noticed that the water pressure has dropped and comes back to normal when i bypass the softner. Anyone else having these issues?

Bannerman

Reaction score
No salt is 100% pure. The brine tank should be cleaned out fully and sanitized every few years.

Loss of flow through a water softener is most often caused by damaged resin.

Any type of water softener resin will be damaged by constant chlorine exposure. Many softeners available from big box stores and online sellers are equipped with cheap resin with less than 8% crosslinking and so those system's resin will be subpar and the lifespan will be reduced, particularly when softening municipal (chlorinated) water. Standard water softener resin has 8% crosslinking but resin with premium 10% crosslinking will better tolerate constant chlorine exposure so suggest either rebedding your system with 10% CL resin, or better yet, install a backwashing carbon filtration system to remove chlorine before your softener equipped with either 8% or 10% CL resin.

Frandy

Reaction score
No salt is 100% pure. The brine tank should be cleaned out fully and sanitized every few years.

Loss of flow through a water softener is most often caused by damaged resin.

Any type of water softener resin will be damaged by constant chlorine exposure. Many softeners available from big box stores and online sellers are equipped with cheap resin with less than 8% crosslinking and so those system's resin will be subpar and the lifespan will be reduced, particularly when softening municipal (chlorinated) water. Standard water softener resin has 8% crosslinking but resin with premium 10% crosslinking will better tolerate constant chlorine exposure so suggest either rebedding your system with 10% CL resin, or better yet, install a backwashing carbon filtration system to remove chlorine before your softener equipped with either 8% or 10% CL resin.
Never knew that.. Really appreciate the insight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks