More silicone???

Users who are viewing this thread

Yukoner777

Reaction score
Hi there
I'm installing a second-hand tub (Acri-Tec Valhalla). While the pump was disconnected, the suction line was allowed to sag almost a foot. Now I notice that the seal, made by a large amount of silicone, is no longer adhered to the coupling - the pipe will swivel and the silicone stays put. I checked all the other connections and each of them has a similar quantity of silicone slathered on. I don't know if that's the way they did it in the factory or if the previous owner applied all that silicone.

Anyway, my question is, should I just add more silicone to make it watertight or should I remove all the silicone and start from scratch.
IMG_1695.JPG

Yukoner777

Reaction score
A loose joint needs to be cleaned and redone.
Silicone over the outside doesn't help.
After I remove the silicone and remove the pipe from the tub and clean it all up, is the joint supposed to be siliconed under the flange to seal it properly? Or is there supposed to be a gasket of some kind?

Yukoner777

Reaction score
Okay, so I've cleaned off all the silicone from around the connection. I thought maybe the elbow would pull out easily, but it doesn't seem to want to come out and I'm hesitant to force it. Should I cut between the flange and the tub to release it? Or would there be a gasket that I'd ruin?
IMG_1697 (2).jpg

Yukoner777

Reaction score
I've scraped off the outer silicone and after I get the drain, water lines, and pump hooked up, I'm going to fire it up as is to see if there is indeed any leak at that joint. It is very tight and the only reason I can rotate the joint a few mm's is because there is 5 ft of pipe attached to it. There is no other play in the joint; only the wee bit of rotational. And since the tub is already in place, I can just as easily deal with any leak that appears then as I can now. If it doesn't leak, I haven't wasted my time.

Thanks for your help again.
Ross

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks