Monitoring Reverse Osmosis system

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
My well water has extremely high naturally occurring fluoride (6.5 mg/L). That is about 4 times higher than the recommended level for consumption. We run our water through a reverse osmosis system. I have a TDS meter and I know the TDS is reduced from 370 mg/L to about 40 gm/L. Is it safe to assume that the fluoride level will have dropped below 2.0 mg/L? Do RO systems preferentially remove one ion over another? The simple answer would be to get my water tested again - but it's not cheap. If anyone knows of a good fluoride test kit, perhaps that might be the way. The last time I had it tested, it went to a lab.

Thank you.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Many RO's used to be good, until the manufacturing was sent overseas. Many of the HT Ro's had built in monitors, but a simple TDS tester should suffice. You can interpolate the performance for fluoride rejection based on general tds rejection. This is obviously not 100% accurate but it will give you a good estimate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks