Monitoring Reverse Osmosis system

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by beets, May 15, 2019.

1. beets

beets New Member

My well water has extremely high naturally occurring fluoride (6.5 mg/L). That is about 4 times higher than the recommended level for consumption. We run our water through a reverse osmosis system. I have a TDS meter and I know the TDS is reduced from 370 mg/L to about 40 gm/L. Is it safe to assume that the fluoride level will have dropped below 2.0 mg/L? Do RO systems preferentially remove one ion over another? The simple answer would be to get my water tested again - but it's not cheap. If anyone knows of a good fluoride test kit, perhaps that might be the way. The last time I had it tested, it went to a lab.

Thank you.

2. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. beets

beets New Member

Thank you. I have a Hydrotech RO.

5. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    Many RO's used to be good, until the manufacturing was sent overseas. Many of the HT Ro's had built in monitors, but a simple TDS tester should suffice. You can interpolate the performance for fluoride rejection based on general tds rejection. This is obviously not 100% accurate but it will give you a good estimate.