Molded PVC Shower Pan Repair

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by wexcellent, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. wexcellent

    wexcellent New Member

    Apr 29, 2007
    PVC Shower Pan Repair - someone!? Anyone!?

    The place I moved into has a 4 piece, pvc, neo angle shower unit in it. The pan is made of molded PVC and was not properly supported underneath. As a result the PVC broke and split in the middle of the floor. It is about a 5" split in a straightline. The drain flange is still intact and the split comes to within an inch or so of it. It is slab on grade construction and there is no sign of moisture around the shower base (I have a good moisture meter) so any water leaking must be going down in the cutout around the shower drain which was never patched in with concrete.

    I think I can slip adequate support into the area by unscrewing the drain and lifting up the pan a bit. What I'm wondering is if there is someway to patch the crack with thicker pvc material that I could adhere over the top of the break after prepping the area. I can't find anything online. This is a basement shower and I don't really care if the shower pan is pretty. I just want to stop the leak and prevent further cracking of the pan.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    The only alternative I see is to replace the whole thing but that probably means wall panels and glass too because I think it must have come as a kit and I doubt I could match the pan size.


    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. wexcellent

    wexcellent New Member

    Apr 29, 2007
    Still no Responses?

    Is there really no answer to this other than replacement? No one out there with experience on these?

  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. markts30

    markts30 Commercial Plumber

    Sep 25, 2006
    Commercial Plumber
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have never heard of any method or repair for these...
  5. leejosepho

    leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

    Nov 23, 2006
    disabled-retired industrial fabricator
    200 miles south of Little Rock
    PVC can be heat welded, I have done it, and you can fix that crack. If you are familiar with gas welding, the principles here are the same: hot air, filler rod, technique.

    Talk to an auto body repairman or check at a couple of auto parts stores. The tool you need is essentially a soldering iron with air passing through it and the filler rod you need will be PVC.

    What I would probably do there would be to leave the drain alone and carefully pry one side of that crack up (open) so I could inject grout for support under the pan. Your local masonry store should be able to supply a smooth grout, and there are various ways to inject it. I have done some with an actual grout pump -- do a web search -- and I have also done some with a squeeze bag and nozzle similar to what cake decorators use, but actually for grout. A pressure pot would be another way, or maybe even a grease gun.
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
Similar Threads: Molded Shower
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Bath tub not molded correctly? Jan 27, 2006
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Another "help identifying shower valve" post Monday at 7:15 PM
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Help Identifying Shower Valve / Stem / Cartridge Monday at 4:34 PM
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Stumped - help identify shower faucet please? Monday at 12:49 PM
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Delta R22000 Shower tub remodel, diverter problem Sunday at 8:42 PM

Share This Page