Mold/Mildew in PEX Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Towsonite

Reaction score
Hi, I opened a cold water PEX line in my house to install a new line to our refrigerator. I put a container to catch water and it came out almost neon yellowish with a tint of green. I put a splash of bleach in it and within seconds it was clear, so I'm assuming it was mold or mildew. We're on city water and the PEX lines are maybe 7 months old. The old CPVC lines were black on the inside and assume now that it was mold or mildew. Water from the tap does not have any color or smell to it and I'm assuming the fresh air hitting the inside of pipe is what caused any mold or mildew to suddenly dislodge and show up in the water that I drained. Is this anything to be concerned about?

I have not been able to find a single source through the clutter on Google, i.e. all I've seen are mold remediation companies selling some hocus pocus and companies selling water filters. If you have any reliable sources on the topic then please let me know.

There are some branches that are rarely used. We have a bathroom upstairs that is never used and I wonder is that is exacerbating the problem, though this line was nowhere near that water line and was in fact on the other side of the shutoff. Didn't know if it was suggested to run those lines on a regular basis and for how long.

Thanks for your help!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would ask your water department if the water being delivered to you had the minimum amount of chlorine/chloromine by the time it hits your house. You could get some low-range test strips to do your own measurement. A pool store may be able to do that test for you.

Do you have a carbon filter on your house water?

We could discuss how to sanitize your plumbing to kill off what is there now. It's the city's job to make sure that new stuff that can grow does not arrive at your house. My idea would involve circulating a bleach+vinegar solution put together in a safe way.

Last edited:

GReynolds929

Reaction score
This is why it is recommended to not have any dead end lines. The water will stagnate and bacteria will grow. If the line is used regularly it wont be a problem.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Absolutely your fixtures should all be used regularly, the more the better I believe. I think a flush a week use a gallon or 2 in lav and same at shower minimum and a good 5 minutes or more few times a year is good I don't know much about chlorination but I'd learn how to do it on PEX flush it real good then get a test.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks