Moentrol Valve - weird issues

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
I recently removed tile and installed new backerboard and tiles in a shower/tub unit. the plumbing pipes were not connected to anything and they moved in and out relative to the tile wall. the old valve is an old school Moentrol. I didn't add blocking to the valve since I didn't know the correct depth and figured that if it worked in the past like it had been, I should be good to go in the future. this is in an old condo building that we rent out.

Now, after installing new trim set, I found that I could not install the screw all the way into the threaded hole of the valve; when I did this, it would turn on the water (presumably because the whole system wasn't secured in the wall). so, I set the screw loose so that I could pull the water on and depress it so that it shuts off completely. it seemed to work at first, but when I went back today (I'm selling the unit, hence the remodel), I found that in filling up the tub, there would be a little trickle of water from the shower head if I pulled the handle all the way out. the trickle would take 5 or so seconds to form, but then would be continuous.

The way to remedy the trickle was to push the screw in a little bit so the water wasn't full pressure, but that's obviously not a long-term solution, especially if/when the inspector comes to look at this.

What am I missing? what am I doing wrong? and how can I fix? I can make access to the wall if needed, but it's really a last resort since I would have to cut in from the hallway.

One thought I had, which is totally not a good idea, was to apply some goop (glue) to the screw and handle so that the screw was no longer loose within the handle. I think there's about 1/4" gap on the screw head to the handle when turned off, so I can't really turn off the water without pushing on the screw itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

moentrol-very-old.jpg

moen-3270-parts.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make a handle extension for the Moen.

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen/Moen_Handle_extension_kit/137347WR

moentrol-extension-orb.jpg

That valve that you have has a diverter built in for the shower head, and I see that you added a tub spout with diverter. The tub spout gets run in copper or full sized pipe or it will push water up to the shower head.
Anything smaller like PEX or CPVC will push the water upward.

moen-2600-parts-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
thanks for the info Terry.

how does the extension piece solve the issue of not being able to fully shut off the water? seems like by sticking out more, it would just cause the screw to pull more on the valve???

yes, I replumbed the spout portion of the line with a Sharkbite elbow. methinks this is the restriction, unfortunately. I see Moen has a shower pressure control valve, but that seems really hokey to me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

The instructions mention not reducing the pipe size to the tub spout.

It has been plumbing code for decades now with the requirement to either pressure balance or thermostatically control temperature. It's really a great idea. I had three valves like the one you had at my mothers and I replaced all of them with the Moen pressure balanced faucets.

Is this the valve you have?

moentrol-with-diverter-old.jpg

If the old trim looked like the one below, I often need the extension kit for it to work with the more recent trim that isn't concave. Otherwise the handle hits the plate before it shuts off.

legend-diverter-trim.jpg

Last edited:

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
yes, that's the valve i have.

question: do you have availability in the next week to do a service call? project is in lower queen anne.

i don't think i reduced the pipe size necessarily, but perhaps the sharkbite reduces flow just enough to make the difference. i tried today without the diverter on and it still dribbled water out the shower head. here's what i used: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...gree-Stub-Out-Elbow-Fitting-U351LFA/202721918

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you leave the little plastic sleeve in the sharkbite? Those for certain restrict flow too much for the tub spout.

They're supposed to be removed for copper pipe, and I've seen other shower valve set-ups using sharkbites successfully, so I presume it's just the sleeve that causes the problem.

Other plumbers chime in if you've seen them cause problems more consistently.

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
helper Dave: thanks for the idea on the SharkBite plastic. i cut a hole in the backside of the wall and removed it. no more drips

Terry: thanks for the product recommendation. I ended up not using the sleeve, but did use the brass extension. I was nervous, b/c the long screw bolt they provided was just long enough, but it seems to work fine now.

project complete. time to sell!

Buckwheat9

Reaction score
Moen Valve 1970s.jpg

Hi Terry - Any Help would be appreciated.

I have uploaded our valve that looks the same as above (Balancing Spool on top centered between the two "stops"). It was installed mid-1970s.

At the very least, the cartridge is frozen. I want to replace that and anything else that might be wise to swap out.

**** Is there any way to identify this valve so that I can find new parts??? ******

Thank you for your forum. Very helpful

Buck!

Buckwheat9

Reaction score
So "either a 1200 or a 1225 cartridge" means they both could work and I take my pick; or I won't know until the old one is out whether it's the 1200 or 1225? I think you mean that they both would work.

They both work, Terry

I REALLY appreciate. I'm going to try to do this myself for my elderly parents. I think a new diverter is in order also and I may take your suggestion about the balancing spool.

Thank you for the link to the removal tool.

I don't know who you are but I appreciate!! We need more of you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks