Moentrol Valve and Rear Access Door Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I am finishing up drywall on a service cavity wall that lies between my kitchen and my shower. Tile is done and everything is hooked up in the shower/bathroom. I installed a nice Moentrol valve on blocking and my escutcheon/plaster ground hole leaves ample room for cartridge replacement when the time comes.

This is more of a philosophical question but I'm wondering about whether an access door on the rear wall (in my kitchen) is worth the trouble. If anything bad happened I'd probably have to rip out the wall from the kitchen side so an access door doesn't really make sense to me... I assume these Moentrol valves are pretty bombproof and I should expect a decent life out of them. Just curious to hear what an access door really offers if there's nothing back there to service. Pretty much the PEX lines that come up through the floor is all I have. I suppose I'd end up demo'ing the tile backsplash on the kitchen side but so be it.

I'm probably overthinking it but just curious to hear some "Too bad the first guy didn't do this" insight from a pro.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would not install an access door behind for the Moen. It's a solid valve and the valve body should be good for decades.
The cartridges can be changed from the shower side.

moentrol-in-wall.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks