Moentrol, Still no cold water in shower after replacing Moen cartidge

Users who are viewing this thread

benrut

Reaction score
I had just noticed that there was no cold water in the shower, but there is cold water in every other faucet in the house. It is a Moen valve, and I replaced the cartridge (with a little help from the web), but that did not fix the problem. When I turn the handle to the right, pressure drops to a trickle of hot water.

I assume the problem is somewhere upstream in the cold water pipe. Is there something else I can try?

I also noticed that the cold water pipe has a large (quarter sized) screw/value just to the right of the main valve, but I haven't messed with that yet.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Ben

joemcl

In the Trades
Reaction score
The large screw is your pressure balancing spool.

MOE-1423_vl.jpg

Remove spool and replace, you must turn off water to faucet. Will fix your problem. Most likely not available at box or hardware stores. A plumbing supply will have one.

Last edited by a moderator:

benrut

Reaction score
I'll try that. But what would have happened to it to cause the problem in the first place?

Thanks!

Ben

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
attachment.php

If your valve has stops like this one does, did you remember to open them both up after replacement?

Normally with the Moentrol valve, you would have it turned so that that the hot was to the left, and the cold to the right.
If the pipes are reversed in the wall, you can pull the handle and spin the cartridge 180 and replace the handle. These valves can be reversed that easily.

If it were a Posi-Temp, the cartridge would need to be pulled and replaced at 180.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks