Moen tub spout, slip-fit to IPS conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

bac

Reaction score
this slip fit spout came with my trim kit but i did not think about the fact that I had a 1/2 ips set-up. sure, I can buy a threaded spout separately but what about just removing the grey plastic slip-fit piece? would it just break, maybe glued in place, etc? there has to be a 1/2 pipe thread down in there- surely they wouldn't have two separate castings. 50+$ gamble. anyone ever done it?

15522480485481769489995.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don' know if that spins out, but I have made up a 1/2" copper with male adapter on one end, threaded in, cut off the excess from the wall and used the slip spout. I make the copper too long so that I can use pliers on it which pretty much messes up the copper, but that part gets cut off anyway.

bac

Reaction score
I don' know if that spins out, but I have made up a 1/2" copper with male adapter on one end, threaded in, cut off the excess from the wall and used the slip spout. I make the copper too long so that I can use pliers on it which pretty much messes up the copper, but that part gets cut off anyway.[/QUOTE

I thought of that but 1) have no experience with sweating copper pipe and 2) was afraid the joint would fail while tightening it. so I tried a pipe thread - 1/2 copper shark bite fitting but discovered too much side-side slop in those so spout was a little 'wobbly' (i used a socket to first screw in the fitting). while removing it the thought of converting the spout occurred to me. too much risk I think so we're ordering a different trim kit and separately, a pipe thread spout. it seems all the kits come with slip-fit spouts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks