Moen Tub Spout Installation with cracks between Ring and Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeThomas

Reaction score
I just installed a new Moen Tub Spout 179101. When installing it, you see a white portion with caulking. Everytime I press down on the spout lightly, I can see the spout separate, and see hole edges between the ring and spout (see green box). Is this the way, Moen Tub spout is supposed to be installed, or did plumber not install it correctly? Pictures may be small, however edges and cracks do occur.

The concern is water leaking through, causing mold/mildew which can be a bigger problem.

https://www.moen.com/products/Monticello/Monticello_Diverter_tub_spout/179101
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Decorative-Metal-Diverter-Tub-Spout-in-Chrome-179101/203183724

tubpictures2.jpg

Last edited:

HydroAirJoe

Reaction score
I have the same issue. We are not alone. A couple of people on the HD sight complained about the same thing. I called Moen. The nice lady thinks that the 179101 is not the same as the official M3807, so she is sending me one free. She is wrong about this and the only difference between the 179101 and M3807 is the packaging. We will see if it fixes the issue. BTW, I trimmed a little of the pipe thinking this was the issue, but it does not fix the problem. I don't think you will a problem with leaks since any water that gets in there will simply drain out the bottom, but it is unsightly and it bothers me and I rather not have to use caulk to seal that gap.

HydroAirJoe

Reaction score
FYI, Moen responded to me in the HD forum and claims that the reason for this gap could be is that the pipe must be free of burrs, ridges, dents. I have neither. The spout will set flush against the escutcheon, but as you tighten it it will pull away, even if you try holding against the plate. I think there is a design flaw in the slip-on adapter. The original slip on adapter on the old spout (Monticello), was a different design and did not have this issue. Well I'm really good at applying nice, neat beads of silicone caulking (tape and amonia free window cleaner is the secret), so time to caulk.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks