Moen Standard Valve--Want to lose the tear drop handle

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnnyB

Reaction score
Moen is driving me CRAZY! I have wasted A LOT of time searching Amazon, Moen, and just about every website out there. I want to find a suitable, inexpensive, solution to replace this piece of junk (photo included) with an Oil Rubbed Bronze trim and handle. The only ones I can find from Moen are like $265 (which baffles me because the chrome ones are like $80) and I'm not even sure if they will work with the valve I have since mine is a push in/pull out then twist for hot/cold model. I'm aware of the adapter kit and ready to buy that so my standard valve will work with the Moentrol connectors but which ones? I see very few options out there. I'd buy the Danco but their reviews are awful (holes not lining up, parts are plastic, paint peeling). Pfister a few years ago had a universal bath/shower trim kit. But, that one no longer exists. Are other companies compatible with Moen? What other options do I have? Anybody find any luck out there? I'd just like a short list of trims that ACTUALLY have been tested and worked for some you with the standard Moen valve.

Thanks,
John

Moen.jpg
Moen1.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need the adapter for use the Moentrol on that old Moen valve.

moen-145058-terrylove.jpg

t5502orb.jpg

Moen T5502ORB
$491.50 trim only. Yikes!
I would guess you could get this for $319.00

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Reaction score
Terry,

Thanks for the response. I looked at that one but here are a couple of screen captures that says it doesn't work with the pull/push on/off, twist to hot/cold model like the one I have. Maybe they are just referring to the model without the adapter kit and it will work just fine with it?
Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 4.11.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 4.11.44 PM.png

JohnnyB

Reaction score
The first one is over $300 dollars for bronze and comes with a shower head, which I don't need: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WM6TM4K/ref=twister_B07QT67R1V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you meant this one, it's almost $300 too just for the trim and handle: https://www.amazon.com/Moen-T5501OR...&keywords=T5502ORB&qid=1589153583&s=hi&sr=1-7

There's got to be one more economical out there.

Would this one work: https://www.amazon.com/Moen-T2121BR...+trim+oil+rubbed+bronze&qid=1589153834&sr=8-2

Really, it looks like my only economical options are the Danco: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FAT878S/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Or this one, which isn't much better and is just the trim but keeps the pear-shaped handle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LAC59S/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A3DW2DZ7ELYA6T&psc=1

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at this.
Simpatico 31671OB trim.(Toss the handle) $44.00
Moen 95626RB handle (Toss the plastic handle adapter) $57.40
Moen 100223 Push/Pull plastic handle adapter $7.80

JohnnyB

Reaction score
Thanks. The Simpatico is exactly like the Danco, which I ended up buying ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FATBR7G/ref=twister_B004E0Z8ZO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 ) I was trying to avoid the teardrop handle and Danco had the option of a regular handle. I regret that purchase now. The handle was SO wobbly that it wasn't worth the money I paid. Luckily, I only paid $37 for it. Oddly enough they just raised the price on that POS to $50. So, I just put back on the teardrop handle and used the ORB trim.

Your combo solution might work. However, will it be equally wobbly as the Danco piece of crap? That adapter looks pretty close to what Danco provided but it's plastic instead of metal. The hex head screw on the Moen handle looks exactly like the Danco one. Those things strip WAY too easily. I'll post my Amazon review link with a video once if/when they approve it. It shows how bad the Danco handle wobbles.

Look at this.
Simpatico 31671OB trim.(Toss the handle) $44.00
Moen 95626RB handle (Toss the plastic handle adapter) $57.40
Moen 100223 Push/Pull plastic handle adapter $7.80

JohnnyB

Reaction score
Here's the link to my review with the video clip of the Danco handle. If it's like that then I don't want it.

Thanks. The Simpatico is exactly like the Danco, which I ended up buying I was trying to avoid the teardrop handle and Danco had the option of a regular handle. I regret that purchase now. The handle was SO wobbly that it wasn't worth the money I paid. Luckily, I only paid $37 for it. Oddly enough they just raised the price on that POS to $50. So, I just put back on the teardrop handle and used the ORB trim.

Your combo solution might work. However, will it be equally wobbly as the Danco piece of crap? That adapter looks pretty close to what Danco provided but it's plastic instead of metal. The hex head screw on the Moen handle looks exactly like the Danco one. Those things strip WAY too easily. I'll post my Amazon review link with a video once if/when they approve it. It shows how bad the Danco handle wobbles.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no comparison between a Danco product and a factory Moen product. I've never seen a new Moen handle wobble. This combination has been done dozens of times in multiple finishes without a complaint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks