Moen single handle,no hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

JamesCarpenter

Reaction score
I have a Moen single handle shower and tub faucet. Model 1222 cartridge. The problem is that the shower get plenty hot as well as all other faucets in the house. The tub faucet only gets luke warm. I have changed the cartridge and adjusted it as much as I could to get hotter water. I am at a loss on how to get hotter water at the faucet.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have a Moen single handle shower and tub faucet. Model 1222 cartridge. The problem is that the shower get plenty hot as well as all other faucets in the house. The tub faucet only gets luke warm. I have changed the cartridge and adjusted it as much as I could to get hotter water. I am at a loss on how to get hotter water at the faucet.

Did you note if there was a hot stop under the handle to prevent it from going to full hot?

Did you flush the hot water line with the cartridge removed to make sure that ample hot water is coming to the valve, and that no debris is there to damage the cartridge?

JamesCarpenter

Reaction score
Did you note if there was a hot stop under the handle to prevent it from going to full hot?

Did you flush the hot water line with the cartridge removed to make sure that ample hot water is coming to the valve, and that no debris is there to damage the cartridge?
Yes there is a hot stop and I adjusted as far as I could. There is plenty of hot water getting to the valve because the shower head puts out plenty.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Yes there is a hot stop and I adjusted as far as I could. There is plenty of hot water getting to the valve because the shower head puts out plenty.

The tub spout could easily flow twice as much volume as a standard shower head. Are you stating that the valve is turned to full hot but it is only lukewarm?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What kind of device do you use for heating your water? If, say, a tankless system, the increased flow to the tub spout may mean your tankless can't warm enough water, and it ends up lukewarm. But, when the flow is reduced, the tankless can raise the water more. This tends to be a bigger issue in the winter when the incoming water is colder, and the system must raise the water temperature more to be comfortable. This could be an aissue with a boiler, too, if it's an immersion heater - i.e,. one where there isn't a tank, and it must heat up while passing by the heat exchanger. Sometimes, you can restore operation by de-mineralizing the coils, which can act like an insulator, slowing the heat transfer.

JamesCarpenter

Reaction score
What kind of device do you use for heating your water? If, say, a tankless system, the increased flow to the tub spout may mean your tankless can't warm enough water, and it ends up lukewarm. But, when the flow is reduced, the tankless can raise the water more. This tends to be a bigger issue in the winter when the incoming water is colder, and the system must raise the water temperature more to be comfortable. This could be an aissue with a boiler, too, if it's an immersion heater - i.e,. one where there isn't a tank, and it must heat up while passing by the heat exchanger. Sometimes, you can restore operation by de-mineralizing the coils, which can act like an insulator, slowing the heat transfer.
It is a tankless and that is kind of what I was thinking with the cold weather that it wasn’t able to keep up. Thanks

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That's a common complaint with a tankless heater. It takes major amounts of energy to raise the temperature of water, and it's easier the warmer it is. Most of the time, the things are spec'ed with about 50-degree water, which is way warmer than the winter incoming cold water temperatures in much of the northern half of the US, and can be an issue even further south if you have a deep well. If you haven't delimed the thing recently, try that, it may restore adequate operation. It's usually at least an annual service requirement unless you have very soft water.

Ladiesman217

Reaction score

Before you start thinking about theoretical problems with your tankless water heater, why don't you do the obvious?

Turn on the tub faucet to full hot. Turn on the same room sink faucet to full hot at the same time as the tub faucet. Don't run them both at full open water flow volume wise. Use normal water volume.

Do both faucets simultaneously give you the same water temperature (luke warm)?

JamesCarpenter

Reaction score
Before you start thinking about theoretical problems with your tankless water heater, why don't you do the obvious?

Turn on the tub faucet to full hot. Turn on the same room sink faucet to full hot at the same time as the tub faucet. Don't run them both at full open water flow volume wise. Use normal water volume.

Do both faucets simultaneously give you the same water temperature (luke warm)?
I did do that, obviously, lol. The bathroom sink gets hot and the tub faucet stays lukewarm.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did do that, obviously, lol.
The simultaneous part is not nearly as obvious as you think it is.

You said "The problem is that the shower get plenty hot as well as all other faucets in the house." Do you think it would be obvious that you tried all other faucets in the house simultaneously? See how ridiculous that sounds? So how would it be even close to obvious that you tried the lav and the tub and lavatory simultaneously?

Ladiesman217

Reaction score
I did do that, obviously, lol. The bathroom sink gets hot and the tub faucet stays lukewarm.

and the previous statement

It is a tankless and that is kind of what I was thinking with the cold weather that it wasn’t able to keep up. Thanks

If you have hot water at the sink with simultaneous lukewarm water at the tub faucet, the only thing that is obvious is there is nothing wrong with the water heater. You also said water temperature from the shower is normal.

Something is wrong with the water valve / cartridge setup.

Recheck your installation.

https://www.moen.com/customer-support/cartridge-replacement

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesCarpenter

Reaction score
If you have hot water at the sink with simultaneous lukewarm water at the tub faucet, the only thing that is obvious is there is nothing wrong with the water heater. You also said water temperature from the shower is normal.

Something is wrong with the water valve / cartridge setup.

Recheck your installation.

https://www.moen.com/customer-support/cartridge-replacement

Forget I said anything then since you obviously didn’t get the sarcasm in my remark. This setup has been working fine for over a year. I replaced the cartridge and installed it correctly. I have also adjusted the hot stop as much as possible. I have also put the cartridge in upside down just to make sure I’ve tried everything before some know it all smartass makes a rude comment. I’m done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Water will flow along the path of least resistance. It appears that somewhere you have a single handle faucet, or some other device that is allowing the hot and cold to mix, and that path has less resistance to your tub. One at a time, shut the cold water off at each faucet/device then check your tub. It's likely that one of them will allow the tub to get hot. Note that washing machines can sometimes do this, but it's not common. But, some people mix hot/cold there, and that will create problems sometimes by providing mixed temp water to other fixtures.

Some people put a shutoff on the showerhead, and leave the valve turned on...this creates a cross-over, and could be your source of problems. Think creatively, it's probably not the valve, it's somewhere else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks