Moen Shower with no cold water

Users who are viewing this thread

tommahawke

Reaction score
Hoping someone can give me some good news here. I just bought a house with a single knob Moen shower temperature control (shown). The center knob has no tension, so when you turn it, it spins 360 degrees. It does not control the water temperature at all. As a result the water comes out 100% hot and the shower is unusable. I am not sure of the model number (house is 20 years old and it looks original) but it does say standyne on the bottom and it does have two screws below the knob.

My question, is it possible to replace/repair this knob so that it can be used to adjust the temperature without having to replace the whole valve? Having just moved in money is tight so I want to avoid tearing through the wall at all costs (there is no rear access panel). I tried removing the two screws but that didn't seem to get me anywhere. The metal faceplate is caulked to the tile. I didn't want to try prying the faceplate off if it isn't going to help anyway.

Any advice? Thanks Tom

Attachments

• knob.JPG
    knob.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 580

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use a pocket knife to pry off the tear-shaped "button" on the knob. Unscrew the knob and replace it.

PS: If the knob isn't broken, at worst, you only need to replace the cartridge.

tommahawke

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!
I don't see a button to pop off. It looks like a solid piece of plastic.

tommahawke

Reaction score
Sorry, I got the plastic cover off now, I'm an idiot. The inside of it was cracked so I'm hoping that is all it is. Off to Lowe's.

tommahawke

Reaction score
Replacement knob took care of it, man that was easy! Thanks for your help. One less thing to worry about!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks