Moen Shower/Tub Valve Turns Off, But Then Begins to Turn On Again

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayzen

Reaction score
With time, the tub/shower valve was so tight and hard to turn that I could almost not turn it anymore, so I just replaced the Moen cartridge with an OEM Moen 1222 cartridge, and it now works smoothly & easily, with the water getting hotter, as it should, while being rotated counterclockwise and getting colder, when being rotated clockwise. So far, so good.
But, while turning the faucet off, as the knob approaches about '4 o'clock,' it shuts the water completely off, and as it passes the 4 o'clock' position, the water begins to run again and continues to run when the knob is fully stopped at 180 degrees; sort of a 'run-stop-run' sequence.
So, what I end up with is a faucet that is running water when it is supposed to be turned off.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Rayzen

Reaction score
It would be the 2 piece white limit stop.

Hi Marlinman. Thanks for your help.

I know that the 2-piece, white limit stop is used to limit the amount of hot water that comes through the faucet, but does it also affect where the knob stops, when turning the water off?

Thanks again!

Rayzen

Reaction score
Hi Marlinman. Thanks for your help.

I know that the 2-piece, white limit stop is used to limit the amount of hot water that comes through the faucet, but does it also affect where the knob stops, when turning the water off?

Thanks again!

With time, the tub/shower valve was so tight and hard to turn that I could almost not turn it anymore, so I just replaced the Moen cartridge with an OEM Moen 1222 cartridge, and it now works smoothly & easily, with the water getting hotter, as it should, while being rotated counterclockwise and getting colder, when being rotated clockwise. So far, so good.
But, while turning the faucet off, as the knob approaches about '4 o'clock,' it shuts the water completely off, and as it passes the 4 o'clock' position, the water begins to run again and continues to run when the knob is fully stopped at 180 degrees; sort of a 'run-stop-run' sequence.
So, what I end up with is a faucet that is running water when it is supposed to be turned off.
Any help would be much appreciated.
I don't know how to mark this thread as 'solved,' but, anyway, I figured out what the problem was, myself, and it's rather embarrassing to admit: the plastic knob was not rotated to the correct position, when I re-attached it to the cartridge stem after replacing the cartridge. Okay, I'm an idiot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks