Moen shower cartridge retaining clip

Users who are viewing this thread

RMO194

Reaction score
I was attempting to replace the Moen 1222 cartridge in our shower faucet. I got to the point where the old cartridge was being stubborn and I ran out of time. I decided to put everything back together, but the retaining clip now doesn't seem to have a place to be reinserted. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

RMO194

Reaction score
Does this look correct?

moen-clip-wrong.jpg

RMO194

Reaction score
In the short-term, can the house water be turned back on without the cartridge retaining clip? We will no longer use this shower in the meantime.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the short-term, can the house water be turned back on without the cartridge retaining clip? We will no longer use this shower in the meantime.
No. It could shoot out and break something or someone.

Oldyellr

Reaction score
If the retaining clip cannot be seated tilting it back and forth, maybe the cartridge is not in far enough. A buid-up of lime in the valve cavity could cause that. Try to clean it out with vinegar or Scotchbrite. Installing the clip for me is one of the more stressful parts, afraid I might drop it behind the wall. I don't know why Moen would not include a clip with the kit.

RMO194

Reaction score
If the retaining clip cannot be seated tilting it back and forth, maybe the cartridge is not in far enough. A buid-up of lime in the valve cavity could cause that. Try to clean it out with vinegar or Scotchbrite. Installing the clip for me is one of the more stressful parts, afraid I might drop it behind the wall. I don't know why Moen would not include a clip with the kit.
I had to have a plumbing company come out and remove. And they had quite the struggle with it, too! They had to remove it in pieces. I believe too much moisture had been getting inside the faucet handle, as I had recently (4 or 5 months ago) installed a new shower head that had a wider spray radius. I have gone back to a smaller head to further ensure water doesn't drip down on the handle and get inside.

Oldyellr

Reaction score
I recently ordered a new acrylic shower knob on warranty and Moen also sent a new cartridge. But I messed up installing the new cartridge, it went in very hard and didn't work. It took a puller and lots of brute force to get it out, destroying it. Fortunately, I was able to reinstall the old one, which worked fine with some left over silicone lube. I contacted Moen and they sent me another new cartridge. Great customer service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks