Moen shower cartridge removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Should I attempt this? it's in an area with moderately hard water, no softener installed in the home and the shower has not been used in 4 years. I've done this before on my own, same area no softener but shower used everyday and it was hard to remove. I do have the removal tool now. My concern is with the time it's been sitting, in this 7 year old home.
Turning with the handle is extremely difficult and it the flow doesn't match the knob, almost couldn't shut it off. I couldn't even remove that black plastic by hand once the screw was removed, like it was fused.
Trying to help someone. Maybe attempt it with the removal tool and if it won't budge have them call a plumber. I don't want to the one to damage the valve body. Look at the encrusted stopper.

image1 (002).jpeg
Plumbing 1.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Usually the tool pulls it right out. After it's out, you can wipe the inside, being careful not to scratch it. Something liquid to clean it with.

moen-cartridge-puller-1.jpg

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
If the cartridge doesn’t come out clean or partially removed, what’s the latest technique to remove what’s left without damaging the valve body. Is #6 extractor recommended.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Moen website gives instructions on how to use an easy out if the stem pulls out leaving the other shell, seems simple compared to the various items viewed in online videos, various combinations of washers, bolts, metal extenders etc.... Here's the link

Also this tool appears to be the best option for overall removal, but too costly for me unless I was doing these on a regular basis

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks