Moen Shower Cartridge Removal Tool

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by HawkeyeSean, Feb 26, 2005.

1. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder New Member

The original ONA Puller did not work on the 1222 (Posi-temp). We recently came out with an add on tube to rectify this.

Here is the video.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. Michael Young

Michael Young Active Member

if it's just an easy yank and replace cartridge, most plumbers will replace the cartridge. But if we have to fight with the damned thing, about 100% of us will tell you to do the same thing we'd do at our own house. REPLACE the entire valve and be done with it. Zero-percent chance that I'll spend more than about 15-minutes with a cartridge. It comes out or the valve gets replaced. Just don't have time or patience for the dumb shit.

Tuttles Revenge and Jeff H Young like this.
  3. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Ha Ha yea Michael its hard to be patient but busting holes in tile sometimes need avoiding . I like that though if it aint out in 15 minutes plan b with a big hammer goes in action

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

The Danco puller for removing a cartridge from a 1968 Moen Chateau faucet.

[​IMG]

It pulled it out rather nicely. And yes, I did try pulling with the pliers first.

[​IMG]

They didn't want the crystal handle I had with me, so I went with the Danco handle replacement. A bit heavy with a new cartridge, but when the cartridge wears in, it will maintain position okay. It's a heavy handle.

I went with the Delta RP5834 tub spout that works well with a 1/2" pipe nipple. I had two different nipple extractors with me and needed them both. It was in there really, really hard.

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

Nipple extractor tool used on a tub spout replacement, the post above this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two very old 1200 cartridges.

[​IMG]

New cartridge, new handle. The old cartridge was so still that she had pulled the old handle apart.

6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Just wanted to thank all that contributed here over the years on this topic. I've changed 1200 and 1225 cart many times but have fought them too.
    I've got a Danco Style puller like terry pointed out and a Pasco 7040 puller, I don't do them often My second 1 in last year and a half today.
    I looked at job a week ago a Moen 1200 trim and handle and other unrelated items handle very stiff trim very old as well. So decided to come prepared and brought a 1/2 inch tap.
    Went today pulled trim off and went to use Danco puller to get started and neither the Danco or Pasco would screw in darn it! evidently the screw hole was tapped oversize. So gripped stem with vise grips and pried with channel locks pulled the center right out. BTW couldn't get cartridge to turn at all. proceeding I ran the 1/2 tap as far in as possible then removed tap and slid a hunk of 3/8 bolt that I hacked of I'm guessing 1 3/8 long and ran tap in that old brass came right out. just like suggested .
    I wanted to turn it first but was unable but it still came right out . Any way that's my 2 cents happy camper here!